2011 Ody 2nd windshield crack
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2011 Ody 2nd windshield crack

2011 Ody 2nd windshield crack

Hi everyone I have a 11 ody and the windshield has cracked again. The first time in 2016 and now. Both cracks happened the same way while driving down the road and unexpectedly a crack appeared in the passenger side lower corner. Obviously this should not be happening. Windshields should not be cracking just because the van is being driving down a road. Anyone else having issues with windshields just cracking like this? I called the dealership and they are useless. They won't pay for anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by derek234 View Post
    Hi everyone I have a 11 ody and the windshield has cracked again. The first time in 2016 and now. Both cracks happened the same way while driving down the road and unexpectedly a crack appeared in the passenger side lower corner. Obviously this should not be happening. Windshields should not be cracking just because the van is being driving down a road. Anyone else having issues with windshields just cracking like this? I called the dealership and they are useless. They won't pay for anything.
    Why would the dealership (or Honda) pay for a windshield on an 8-year old van? Especially one that has been replaced once already. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask because the worst they can say is no, but that's pretty optimistic.

Are you suggesting that there is something about the van that is causing the windshield to crack? Because to be honest with you, if you got your original windshield to survive 5 Canadian winters between 2011 and 2016 and the new one three more between 2016 and 2019, I'd say you're doing pretty well. In Calgary, windshields are pretty much considered consumable - if you get 2-3 years without a crack, you're doing decent.

You don't have to necessarily have a visible chip or crack to introduce a weak point in the glass. Where exactly does the crack appear to come from? Can you post a picture of it?
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

I take it you work for Honda? Windshields should not be cracking just because we live in Canada.

Any intelligent replies out there?

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    Why would the dealership (or Honda) pay for a windshield on an 8-year old van? Especially one that has been replaced once already. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask because the worst they can say is no, but that's pretty optimistic.

Are you suggesting that there is something about the van that is causing the windshield to crack? Because to be honest with you, if you got your original windshield to survive 5 Canadian winters between 2011 and 2016 and the new one three more between 2016 and 2019, I'd say you're doing pretty well. In Calgary, windshields are pretty much considered consumable - if you get 2-3 years without a crack, you're doing decent.

You don't have to necessarily have a visible chip or crack to introduce a weak point in the glass. Where exactly does the crack appear to come from? Can you post a picture of it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I take it you work for Honda? Windshields should not be cracking just because we live in Canada.

You must be one of those rare Odyssey owners who never drives outdoors. Fair enough; I didn't realize that.

You want an intelligent response? OK - how's this: Pay up sucker - ya got nothing.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

On my third one and I drive a 2011. Last one started as small chip. I called to get one of the chip repair guys come out and fix it... well went out to lunch and hit a pot hole in road. Before I noticed that chip grew about 10” across. I was ticked but what can you do. Get insurance that covers this repair. At least limits you to $100 in my case.

Well Im pretty stupid but even I know that Calgary Canada is subject to really bitter cold conditions as well as rough roads and an abundant number of logging trucks. All combined would place windshields at high risk. I have not heard of a defect in the design of the odyssey which would cause breakage of the windshield. Maybe its the way you are driving it.

Really need to look at a picture. Any chip at the starting point of the crack? Was the car in accident before? Any repairs done to the frame or A pillars?
    If both cracks happened at same area in same manner, highly unlikely it's the weather or the driving.

Come on. Windshields do get cracks. Usually, comprehensive insurances covers this. Depends on your deductible if it's cost effective.
    I've tried a "chip" repair kit. Forget the brand. Worked great. Kept the chip from "growing". If chip is down towards the edges of the windshield. You will not notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by lozawa View Post
    Come on. Windshields do get cracks. Usually, comprehensive insurances covers this. Depends on your deductible if it's cost effective.
    I've tried a "chip" repair kit. Forget the brand. Worked great. Kept the chip from "growing". If chip is down towards the edges of the windshield. You will not notice it.
    Of course cracks can happen. Cracks for no reason wont happen. Question is whether there was chip first or not. OP never said there was chip but everyone automatically assumes there was.
    And if there was chip, there still be sign of chip at the bottom of the crack. And usually drivers notice the sound when chip happens. If it cracked with no chip, then it's something else. Especially if it happened multiple times at same location with no chip. Maybe the body was twisted from poor repair.

Even a twisted body wouldn’t likely cause this. When they install the windshield a bead of thick rubber caulk about 1/2” or larger in diameter is piped all around perimeter of frame. That caulk lets the glass essentially float and it’s not hard connected to frame. Unless trim was installed improperly and pinched something I don’t see how it will break on its own.

Guys... it's not that complicated. He lives in Ottawa, Canada. They have just gone through one of the snowiest winters in recent memory. It was a tough one, even by Canadian standards. The City of Ottawa uses a sand/salt mixture on the roads to keep them from icing up when it snows. The mix usually depends on the temperature - the colder it gets the more sand or other abrasive materials they use. Salt and brine don't work well when it's super cold.

The windshield was struck, probably by a small piece of gravel. It doesn't have to be a typical visible chip to introduce a point of weakness in the glass. He then hit a rut or a pothole on a cold but sunny day and it spread into a crack. That's just life with a car in Canada. Unfortunately, so is listening to whining about cracked windshields in the winter.
    Last edited by CroMath; Yesterday at 06:05 AM.

Guys... it's not that complicated. He lives in Ottawa, Canada. They have just gone through one of the snowiest winters in recent memory. It was a tough one, even by Canadian standards. The City of Ottawa uses a sand/salt mixture on the roads to keep them from icing up when it snows. The mix usually depends on the temperature - the colder it gets the more sand or other abrasive materials they use. Salt and brine don't work well when it's super cold.

The windshield was struck, probably by a small piece of gravel. It doesn't have to be a typical visible chip to introduce a point of weakness in the glass. He then hit a rut or a pothole on a cold but sunny day and it spread into a crack. That's just life with a car in Canada. Unfortunately, so is listening to whining about cracked windshields in the winter.
    Everything you said are speculations. And then make judgement on the OP based on your speculations. Which is what he was upset about. Just living in Ottawa doesn't mean 1 million Ottawa population is dealing with cracked windshield every couple years I believe was his point. I live in cold winter state too but never had a windshield crack with no visible chip. Never even heard of it. And then the coincidence of happening on same spot multiple times.

The question I'm asking is simple. Was there chip or not?

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements