Concerns: My Ody is getting horrible gas mileage?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Concerns: My Ody is getting horrible gas mileage?

Concerns: My Ody is getting horrible gas mileage?

We have a 2007 EXL Ody with 133K. We have have it maintained always at Honda dealer here in Indianapolis. We have owned it for a very long time since it was almost new. I noticed recently no CELs however terrible drop in MPG. I have done several full tanks to test the mileage and I am getting around 12.2 city and 16 highway. At 105K we had Honda replace spark plugs, and they found a bad pack and went ahead replaced all 6 packs. All maintenance done are regular maintenance minder intervals. I have a clean air filter and regular oil changes. Like I said, we have no CEL. I have checked brake drag, and all corners roll freely without any drag. Engine runs very strong without hesitation. In fact, it impresses me how quick and snappy this van is. Just horrible gas mileage..

Help me figure out what this could be? Where should I start? Should I buy a diagnostic tester and see what it is doing?.. I'm scratching my head wondering where to begin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Could be alot of factors. Check your throttle body and have it cleaned and relearned. Could also be your oxygen sensors or injectors being clogged. I'm just giving areas to start looking into.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wait for more replies before replacing ANY parts.
    Buffalo4
    PS: Even a pretty dirty air filter will not really affect your mpg, but it can really noticeably affect perkiness and full throttle response.
    2003 EX-L
    190k miles orig tranny Sept 2018

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Cold weather and winter driving conditions can reduce your fuel economy significantly. Fuel economy tests show that, in short-trip city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is about 12% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 22% for very short trips (3 to 4 miles).

Could also be a combination of small things. These can add up. Gasoline differences - Winter Grade RVP vs Summer Grade RVP. Snow vs. Summer Tires, Tire Inflation. Driving Style. Weight (more passengers/cargo) . Aero inefficiencies - open windows, roof rack, cargo box, etc). Road Conditions (snow, rough roads, etc.). Electrical (poor grounds, connections, voltage, etc). Changes in oil brand, type, viscosity.

Run good gas in it. If your using an ethanol blend that typically uses more fuel. E85 is the worst! Assuming your using good gas check for a vacuum leak. Mines still running about 18 mpg in town at 200+K miles. Check your trans fluid and make sure the level is up to full. That’s a fairly low number so I suspect you have significant air fuel ratio problems.

Of course the most obvious, tire pressures.

A look at the fuel trims with a live data capable scan tool will tell you whether there's something going on with the engine or if its something external. Everything else is just speculation.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

John you sure know how to cut through the bs! Yes the forums are full of speculation. That being said if the OP does manage to get live fuel trim numbers... we should probably offer some advice on what’s normal.

I’m no expert so I looked it up!

A normal STFT reading will generally fluctuate between negative and positive single digits 2-3 times per second. Usually they'll stay around positive or negative 5%, but they may occasionally go up towards 8 or 9% depending on the efficiency of the engine, age of the components, and other factors. A normal long term fuel trim reading will appear to stay the same, giving a long term average of fuel added. It, too, should be close to zero, positive or negative single digits under normal circumstances. It will fluctuate much slower, possibly appearing static.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/faq/fuel-trims.php
    Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Get Bluedriver. Worth it. Instead of guessing. I'm actually suspicious of "In fact, it impresses me how quick and snappy this van is." Does ECO mode work? I have same 2007 Ody and perhaps your definition of quick and snappy may be different than mine but I would never call mine quick and snappy.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements