At random Ody struggles to start
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At random Ody struggles to start

At random Ody struggles to start

I have a 2014 Touring Elite with 117k. I am the second owner. First let me start by saying the first owner took this vehicle to Honda dealer every 5,000 miles for Honda’s recommended service. I bought the Ody when it had 113k and experienced no issues with the vehicle until about 3 weeks ago when I noticed it struggling to start at random times. I called a Honda dealer and the tech told me that this is a common issue with this Gen with the push start. He told me he had a customer who had same issues and brought it in. They replaced fuel pump, fuel injectors, and starter relay. Vehicle still had the shaky start. They called Honda HQ for further guidance. Honda told them it’s normal for that vehicle to do that. I wanted to ask around here before I take any action.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Wow... that means he took it to dealer every 2-3 months for 5 years. I'd say get OBDII reader or borrow one from auto parts store. Or the dealer.

"Struggling to start" and "shaky start" are poor descriptions of your symptoms. Can you be more specific? Is it a long crank time, meaning the engine cranks for a long time or does it crank slow? What, exactly, is the issue?
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    "Struggling to start" and "shaky start" are poor descriptions of your symptoms. Can you be more specific? Is it a long crank time, meaning the engine cranks for a long time or does it crank slow? What, exactly, is the issue?
    My apologies, It’s a long crank. Doesn’t sound like it struggles just takes a few seconds sometimes. I noticed if I put the vehicle in “on” mode before I attempt to start that works much better. So maybe fuel related? Sorry for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Dash87 View Post
    I have a 2014 Touring Elite with 117k. I am the second owner. First let me start by saying the first owner took this vehicle to Honda dealer every 5,000 miles for Honda’s recommended service. I bought the Ody when it had 113k and experienced no issues with the vehicle until about 3 weeks ago when I noticed it struggling to start at random times. I called a Honda dealer and the tech told me that this is a common issue with this Gen with the push start. He told me he had a customer who had same issues and brought it in. They replaced fuel pump, fuel injectors, and starter relay. Vehicle still had the shaky start. They called Honda HQ for further guidance. Honda told them it’s normal for that vehicle to do that. I wanted to ask around here before I take any action.
    Check the battery.

Don't listen to the bloody idiots at the dealership, saying everything is normal. They can't diagnose sh1t properly and then they say everything is normal. Hate these stealerships...

In the ON mode, the fuel pump runs for two seconds to prime the fuel system. If you always have success by letting it fully prime before you start then I'd say it's likely an issue with fuel pressure bleeding off when sitting. The only way to see what's going on is to connect a fuel pressure gauge and watch the pressure.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

In the ON mode, the fuel pump runs for two seconds to prime the fuel system. If you always have success by letting it fully prime before you start then I'd say it's likely an issue with fuel pressure bleeding off when sitting. The only way to see what's going on is to connect a fuel pressure gauge and watch the pressure.
    I was thinking of trying that but I can’t seem to find the connection point. 🤔

I would think you can "T" into the fuel line close to one of the fuel rails.

Quote Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
    I would think you can "T" into the fuel line close to one of the fuel rails.
    When I did a YouTube search, on most cars there’s a cap you unscrew on the fuel line that leads into the motor, then you hook up the pressure gage. I just can’t seem to locate it. Maybe Ody doesn’t have that setup?

Honda doesn't provide a test point with a schraeder valve. You have to disconnect the fuel line up near the top of the firewall and T in a fuel pressure tester. You need special connectors to do it.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Honda doesn't provide a test point with a schraeder valve. You have to disconnect the fuel line up near the top of the firewall and T in a fuel pressure tester. You need special connectors to do it.
    Of course they don’t...If gauge shows that it’s not holding pressure, is it safe to assume the pressure regulator is bad? Since the fuel filter is in the tank I can’t replace that component.

If that's the problem, Honda does sell a Fuel Pressure regulator set for that. You have to remove the fuel tank unit which comes out the floor underneath the rear seats.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

If that's the problem, Honda does sell a Fuel Pressure regulator set for that. You have to remove the fuel tank unit which comes out the floor underneath the rear seats.
    That seems like such an extensive task...Why couldn’t Honda provide a Schrader valve to test the system. Now I’m wondering do I pay a shop to diagnose the fuel system. It’s starting to make sense why they want $90 for that diagnosis.

Before throwing money at this, go back to an earlier suggestion to check your battery. Odyssey batteries do not last very long. With all the electronics in these things a weak one could affect starting even though is is not slow to crank. Have an actual load test. Just because it shows 12 volts resting and over 14 volts when the engine is running, that does not tell you how healthy it is when cranking.

I agree on the battery, as well.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast