Rattling noise when I'm accelerating uphill
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Rattling noise when I'm accelerating uphill

Hi,

I'm hearing a rattling noise when I'm accelerating uphill. My friend told me to buy a gas in a different gas station or use a gas with a higher octane. The noise is not that loud though but still gives me a headache specially with the wind noise I'm hearing and still getting more info before I report this problems with the dealer.

Thanks,
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX
    Midnight Blue Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hard to diagnose from here. Could be loose exhaust component, heat shield, suspension component, etc. If it's the engine pinging, and it's constant under load, like you describe, get it looked at.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more Hidden Content

Funny,

You got hills and moutains up there. I guess I won't ever be having the uphill issue down here in Florida. Then again, I could get swepped away by a hurricane.

Can you be more specific about the knocking? Is it coming from the engine or underneath you? Or even from the rear of the van?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Heat shield for Catilitic converter gone bad!

My 05 van was diagnosed with deteariating heat shield for the catilitic converter. When I accelerate, I hear rattling. It isn't under warrentee, just to let you know. I am getting it fixed with the dealer next week before my trip to VA for around $200.
    '05 Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res Black/Ivory
    '05 Acura TL Navi/white/Ivory

just got my 3rd maintenance and complain regarding the rattling or knocking of my engine when going uphil. they have replace the knock/knox censor.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX
    Midnight Blue Pearl

Is it still rattling? Could it be engine ping? What gas are you running? Please see my thread "The Engine is Pinging". Also search for the exhaust heat shield TSB

yes, the dealership called it knocking others call it engine pinging. When I accelerate uphill, you can hear the engine ping/knocks more (even if the windows are close). I usually used 87 only sometimes higher octane if the gas is lower. When I used the highest octane, the engine is not pinging. The dealership told me that maybe I should just use the higher octane but I told them that the manual says 87 or higher. Diagnostics lasted 3 hours, and they concluded that it's the knocks sensor. They told me to wait for 1 week and see if the engine still knocks, and right now I don't hear it anymore.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX
    Midnight Blue Pearl

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by slifer71
    yes, the dealership called it knocking others call it engine pinging. When I accelerate uphill, you can hear the engine ping/knocks more (even if the windows are close). I usually used 87 only sometimes higher octane if the gas is lower. When I used the highest octane, the engine is not pinging. The dealership told me that maybe I should just use the higher octane but I told them that the manual says 87 or higher. Diagnostics lasted 3 hours, and they concluded that it's the knocks sensor. They told me to wait for 1 week and see if the engine still knocks, and right now I don't hear it anymore.
    3 days ago you posted they replaced the knock sensor?

Did it help at all?

And is your current tank premium fuel?

Originally posted by chiody
    3 days ago you posted they replaced the knock sensor?

Did it help at all?

And is your current tank premium fuel?

yes, it does solve the problem and still using the same regular fuel. I usually fill-up my tank at 2 Chevron station near the house and the service rep advice me to try a different gas station.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX
    Midnight Blue Pearl

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements