Turn signal and brake light position reversed in outer tail light. Safety concern?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Turn signal and brake light position reversed in outer tail light. Safety concern?

Angry Turn signal and brake light position reversed in outer tail light. Safety concern?

Hi, has anyone else notice that their ‘01 (or other years) turn signal light and brake light are in reverse position? I believe that the bottom of the outer tail lights should be the turn signal and the top should be the brake.

A while ago while my wife was driving our SS ‘01 EX and I was following her in the A4 and another Odyssey stopped at a light. I notice our brake light was on the bottom and the other Odyssey had the brake light on top. I though this was strange, maybe for ‘01 they did it differently.

This past weekend I picked up the outer amber ‘02 lights from HandA (because I got a thing against red turn signal!) my suspicion was confirmed. I had a really tough time taking the connectors with the bulbs out of my all red ‘01 housing. They should twist and come out easily. But, mine would not, I had to twist the tabs on the connectors about 1/3 the way past the “twist allowance” on the housing to get the connector off. This damaged two of my connectors but not my outer tail light housing. With the new ‘02 housing the turn signal connectors went easily in and out of the bottom amber part of the housing and the brake was fine on the top. The connectors are triangular in shape with a tab so you can only put it in the correct location. Thus, my turn signal and brake position in the outer tail light housing was reversed. But, I guess one (or some) installer at the Alliston plant really had to use a lot of force to put it in the wrong location!

Does other ‘01 have this problem too? How big is the problem? I want to write a letter to Honda about this. This could be a safety problem because the brake light was going on in the turn signal part of the tail light and the angle of view or the brightness could have been affected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have noticed once that a 01 odyssey had its brake and turn signal lights reversed. But mine are not.

Just checked out my 2001 Salty. Brake is top, signal is bottom. You must have recieved and Ody built on Billybob's first day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements