Condenser leaked all freon out.. (after puncture)
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condenser leaked all freon out.. (after puncture)

Condenser leaked all freon out.. (after puncture)

Hi all..

I've got a 2001 Odyssey EX with almost 41k miles on it (only 15 months old). Yesterday morning, the air conditioning decided to go out on my way to work. I could crank it down to "60" and it was still warm & muggy air. Anyway, I took it to the dealer's service center near my office (Irvine, CA), and they found that something had punctured a hole in the A/C condenser that is
    just behind the front grill. The long and the short of it is that they need to replace the condenser (>$300), the evaporator (due to contamination), evacuate the system (after replacement of said parts), and refill.. This is going to cost me ~$630 (parts+labor).. The bad part is that the van is OUT of warranty..

I asked the guy at the shop if this was a common problem, and he says that they see if every once in a while.. I just wanted to mention it here just in case anyone else runs across this problem.. Perhaps I should put a holy Kevlar vest on the front of the Condenser to keep rocks and other debris from penetrating it.. With the amount of miles that I put on this van, this *may* happen again.. (I drive ~50 miles each way to work & back, 5
    days a week)

By the way, if anyone knows of such a product (to protect the condenser), please let me know about it!

Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

This happened to me, not with the Odyssey but another van. I was very surprised to find that my insurance covered it (except $100 deductible). I wouldn't have known but for the fact that I was talking to the service writer. I mentioned that I had just had a bonus at work and that I had to spend it on a new condenser, he replied there was no need for that as my insurance would pick it up.
    Even if you had still been in warranty, the warranty would not have covered such a repair.
    Last edited by Grand Total; 06-06-2002 at 05:02 PM.

Re: Condenser leaked all freon out.. (after puncture)

Originally posted by Rick Flower

By the way, if anyone knows of such a product (to protect the condenser), please let me know about it!
    There was a thread not too long ago, about putting somekind of screen behind the grill area, may want to search for it.
    2002 GG-EX

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Even if you van was under warranty it would not be covered as it is not a quality or build defect.

There is not much the car makers can do about it unless they want to include mesh grill covers as a standard feature.
    '03 Golf GL TDI 5spd
    '03 Passat GLS 1.8T Tiptronic

Lightbulb

Wouldn't your auto insurance cover this as I assume the hole in the condensor was caused by road debris? Should be considered under your comprehensive coverage, like a rock that hits your windshield.

Naturally, you need to ask your agent if such a claim would affect your rates. Sometimes it's better to pay out of pocket rather than face three years of higher rates.

I am assuming you DO have insurance, right?
    Keith
    2001 MB EX
    '02 Amber Taillights, Mud Flaps, Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray, Thule Crossbars with Cargo Box, 6.8" LCD TV System with Built in Tuner and FM Modulator, Accord EX 6 Disc/Cassette Double DIN Head Unit, Pioneer TS-1086 Rear Speakers w/ Foam Baffles

I have not made a comp. insurance claim in a long while (I will soon, since my windshield is cracked), but, in my experience, comp. claims did not cause an increase in premiums, as would be the case with a collision claim. I have a piece of screen in front of my condensor to keep bugs out of the fins and I would reckon that it would be helpful in repelling other debris as well, bullets and arrows excepted. Yes, I know that cuts some of the airflow through the radiator, but, it has not caused me any heating problems, yet.

Jerry O.

UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Jerry , it remains me of cracked windsheld on my 2000 Ody. I did
    destroy it. How? Another matter.
    My insurer Allstate like most otheres want to replace it with after market. No way I SAID no aftermarket here. Only parts with Honda stamp on them. He and all glass people crow that it is the same part, just without HONDA stamp.
    Can any body tell me the truth here.
    I am in dispute with them and I don`t know what to do!!!
    What about fenders are they going to use inferior Honda-like products, too. Honda rep. here in Canada told me only Honda parts.
    Best Regards

I wouldn't consider a part inferior just because it doesn't have a honda stamp on it. What makes you think Honda parts are so good anyway?

Originally posted by miro13ca

My insurer Allstate like most otheres want to replace it with after market. No way I SAID no aftermarket here. Only parts with Honda stamp on them. He and all glass people crow that it is the same part, just without HONDA stamp.

Does it matter if you have a HONDA stamp on them . How about the cost are you willing to pay for the price with a HONDA stamp/ logo.

Rick Flower,

Did you end up getting a Honda replacement condensor or aftermakrket one? I'm going into the dealer tomorrow to fight my battle on this one.

Originally posted by miro13ca
    Jerry , it remains me of cracked windsheld on my 2000 Ody. I did
    destroy it. How? Another matter.
    I am in dispute with them and I don`t know what to do!!!
    What about fenders are they going to use inferior Honda-like products, too. Honda rep. here in Canada told me only Honda parts.
    Best Regards
    I do not know if there is a difference in the quality of auto glass, but, I would be willing, at this point, to try someone else's glass, since the OE Honda glass seemed to chip easier than any I have ever had. Of course, I know it is just a matter of the luck-of-the -draw as to when one will get chips, but, it really seemed that the glass OE glass became pitted faster that that in my '94 DC van (92K miles on that one, vs 17K on the Odyssey). Who knows? I will probably take whatever brand is offered, unless someone here can relate an experience which will change my mind. What say you?

Jerry O.

UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

02-RRP-EX
    I've had a windshield replaced on my Civic by Safelite (aftermarket one) and haven't had any problems with it.

Honda glass

I would say try your best to get Honda glass. The only problem with the aftermarket glass is you do not know how safe it is compared to OEM.

After I broke my windshield (hydroplaned into a sign) I made the mistake of going to a highly recommened glass shop in town. The glass makes cracking noises all the time, the trim pieces around the windows were not reinstalled correctly, the rubber trim at the top of the windshield went flying off on the freeway and the glass has deep gouges in it from the edges of the winshield wiper (yes the wiper inserts were good and they never fell off).

I have been burned so many times (4 times) by taking my car to places other then Honda/Acura, I really dont trust anyone else.
    '03 Golf GL TDI 5spd
    '03 Passat GLS 1.8T Tiptronic

Exclamation

When I had a cracked windshield replaced on my '94 Toyota 4x4, the glass shop used a non-Toyota filler trim piece on the top edge after the orig. one blew off during a windy road trip. Over time, this piece has shrunken in length and the "chrome" accent has tarnished....insist on Honda trim.
    2001 EX Mesa Beige
    Wife, 2 kids, mortgage, dog, 2 cats, 2 lizards.

Our local Honda dealer doesn't do body work so 4 years ago my wife had an accident (Accord) and the repair shop used an after market bumper. Paint never did stick even after several repaints. A couple of weeks ago I went deer hunting with the same car. Went to a different repair shop. They were going to use the same bumper cover but couldn't get the paint to stick. So State Farm let them install a Honda bumper (yay!) and the paint is currently holding. BTW here in Florida State Farm and others got in deep dodo for requesting inferior aftermarket parts so now they avoid them like the plague.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast