Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2011 Odyssey driver back heater element change

995 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ody_family 
#1 ·
Finished changing the driver seat back heather element. Few suggestions:

1. Get a diagonal cutting pliers 10" or longer. Longer the better as rings are hard metal, I tried first with 7" pliers and it was very very tough.
2. Get a hog ring plier with slim head. Like - Lisle 61410 Angled Hog Ring Pliers. The hog rings are in very tight spots, forget using regular pliers. I started with a standard hog ring plier but then has to order slim one and wait. A slim hog ring plier made it easier.

Start with removing the trim from the seat belt hook side. Once side is plastic clips and other side is held with a screw, so be careful.
Remove the 4 bolts that holds the seat, unplug the wires from bottom and get the seat out.

Now unzip the seat cover and start cutting the hog clips. There are about 20+ rings just in the back. take lot of picture as the cover locking is tricky.
Remove the heating element by heating it with a hair dryer. The new element needed a modification to the cover lower tie-down cord. I did cut and remove 2 sections.
Now stick the new heater element by aligning the notches. The bridges between the center and lower sections of the new seat heater pad are different lengths.

Now place the cover back and attach new hog rings working from top to bottom of seat.

Install the seat in reverse steps of removal.

I am quiet handy still this job took 5 hrs. It not an easy task. Those hog rings are very hard to deal with so be sure to cut old ones out (remove the cut ends properly) and use new ones to install the cover back. Hog rings will take most of your time.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.