Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caboray:
Anyone know of the stats? The '02 feels much quicker than the '01.</font>
C&D estimated about 8.1 and 16.5. I don't think there are any official magazine numbers yet, just estimates.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caboray:
Anyone know of the stats? The '02 feels much quicker than the '01.</font>
I would hope so. 30 more horsepower and a lower first gear ratio courtesy of the 5 speed transmission better count for something!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I finally put my foot down the other day at around 15 mph or so and it downshifted to first gear!

WOW, it really moves, wish my Accord (4 cyl.) felt that strong! Just for laughs, I'm going to race an '01 from a standing start (only up to a "reasonable speed" of course) to see how it compares. My larger, heavier tires and wheels may hurt a bit but I still want to see how much difference there is.

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

P

·
0 Posts
I dusted a Ranger the other day. (I finally broke the silly thing!). Very nice acceleration, instant power the second you ask for it.

I'm in the same boat, Ody. I wish my piddly little Civic had half as much power as the Ody. But I guess I can't complain, I've dusted a ton of ZX2s and ice cream trucks in that thing.

------------------
"My philosophy about finding lost items is that they're always in the last place you look"

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Love the power, but boy, does she suck gas. Big time.

It took some solid leadfooting, a real will to keep the hammer down, but I dusted a new Accord V6.

I *try* to get a glance at their faces as the mommymobile blows them into the weeds, but that's not always possible.

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Love the power, but boy, does she suck gas. Big time.

It took some solid leadfooting, a real will to keep the hammer down, but I dusted a new Accord V6.

I *try* to get a glance at their faces as the mommymobile blows them into the weeds, but that's not always possible.
</font>
Nice job Adam! With the 1,000 lb. weight advantage of the Accord, I would expect it to be pretty close with 40 fewer HP. Of course gearing etc. come into play-not to mention driver skill!

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wonder if they were really trying? My father-in-law has a 95 Accord V6, and I would not put my 02 Ody up against it (I hate to be embarrassed)!

------------------
2002 SS-EX-L-RES

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poncho1965:
I wonder if they were really trying? My father-in-law has a 95 Accord V6, and I would not put my 02 Ody up against it (I hate to be embarrassed)!

</font>
Well, since by default the minivan is expected to be the slower vehicle, there's nothing to "lose" right? Now, if the Accord had lost, that would be a different story...

·
Registered
596 Posts
As Poncho said, ya gotta be sure the other guy knows it is a race, Hee! Hee! By the way, Poncho, I had '60 and '64(a 421) Tri-power, stick-shift Ponchos as new cars. Great stuff, in their days......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Amen on that!! It is really distressing to hear that street racing is once again becoming fashionable. It's pretty easy to take it to the track and see what it will really do and do it safely.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you took a minivan to the track you'd be laughed at! Seriously though, if you're drag racing in an area where you expect to exceed the speed limit, then obviously it's dangerous. But if you're merging onto a freeway or something, I don't see any harm in putting your foot down. It's not like driving an automatic in a straight line is very taxing. A few days ago I nailed it after paying my money at a toll booth getting onto the Dumbarton Bridge here in the Bay Area. It's the usual six lanes down to two thing. Anyway, I handily out-accelerated a couple of pickup trucks and a car that were shooting for the gap also. The engine revved to about 5,500 rpm in each gear. I let off at about 65 mph. Not particularly dangerous...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
65 Posts
Richard, I was thinking the same thing! A minivan at the track, I believe they would think the driver was smoking some wacky stuff! I am glad they saw fit to give the ODY 240 HP, finally, a vehicle that we can live with on a daily basis that is fun to drive!

------------------
2002 SS-EX-L-RES

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poncho1965:
Richard, I was thinking the same thing! A minivan at the track, I believe they would think the driver was smoking some wacky stuff! I am glad they saw fit to give the ODY 240 HP, finally, a vehicle that we can live with on a daily basis that is fun to drive!
</font>
Read 'em and weep:
Paul Smith's 1989 Caravan Turbo

12.65 [email protected]
Proof that it's very possible to bring a sleeper to the track and whoop some @ss.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

Go check out the Wednesday Night Drags at Sear's Point. You may find a minivan or two there. It's race what you brung there. http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 12-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, sleepers were always fun to watch at the track. I still say no racing on the street, no matter how fast you go. All it takes is a little sideways glance at the other guy and you can be right into the back of someone. Also, I am NEVER embarrassed to be driving my soccerbus. It is a fine example of the automotive art, IMHO.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
251 Posts
hachiroku, do you have the address to his site. I have been looking for it for some time since I lost everything on my hard drive. It could be my next project car...

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
hachiroku, do you have the address to his site. I have been looking for it for some time since I lost everything on my hard drive. It could be my next project car...

</font>
Sorry.There's an article on his van at www.streetracing.org but the hyperlink that leads to his website doesn't work. He must have switched sites.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I stand corrected! I guess I need to remember what a sleeper is, minivan or no!
Jerry, sadly, I don't see many Poncho's around these days.....

------------------
2002 SS-EX-L-RES

1 - 20 of 23 Posts