Honda Odyssey Forum banner

00 ODY Loud Squealing from Water Pump area..

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Realism22 
#1 ·
00 ODY 175K... with a mysterious continuous squealing sound while running engine at idle and accelerating.. before and after changing water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys...& that's running engine without the 2 other drive belts on...

Any ideas???

PS .The sound has twice momentarily gone silent for a few seconds..only to return again..to that same continuous high-pitched squealing 🧩

#9 ·
Since the noise is still there when the accessory belt is removed, I'd suspect the timing belt tensioner. You could take off the timing belt cover to inspect, and if things look fine start the motor and see if you can better locate the source of the noise.

Reactions: Infactual
#17 ·
You probably need a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate where the noise is coming from. Harbor Freight has one for not too much money. Usually I'd use a long screwdriver and put my ear against it, but with moving parts and belt this would be difficult to do safely.

Reactions: Infactual
#19 · (Edited)
There's a timing belt guide plate on the crankshaft sprocket that keeps the timing belt in proper alignment...and it appears to have a lot of wear from 20 years pushing against the edge of the timing belt... I'm thinking all that wear is allowing the belt to ride out towards the front shoulder/collar on the water pump pulley..and quite possibly causing the loud squealing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.