Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a 2000 Odyssey that seems to have a problem with the fuel gauge stuck on full. We filled it in Frisco, CO, drove four hours in heavy, slow traffic on I-70 to get home (approx. 82 miles), and noticed that the gauge was still on full. With a fairly well-loaded down car we get about 20 MPG, which would be about 4 gallons used on a tank that fills at around 17, so by my calculations we used about 1/4 tank. I know sometimes the fuel gauge will drop all of a sudden to "catch up" with the actual fuel consumption, but our gauge hasn't budged. Has anyone had a similar problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Techron

Techron gas additive is suposed to remove deposits that can cause the float connected to the fuel gauge to stick causing just what you state. I have a friend retiered long time mechanic that swears by the stuff, and I have found it to be very good at cleaning injectors as well.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx

Walmart carries it as well as most auto parts stores. Just make sure you get the "Concentrate Plus" in the black bottle as there is also a gas treatment version that is much less concentrated. For cleaning the gas gauge float you may need to use several tanks of fuel with a bottle in each.

·
Registered
725 Posts
when you topped off last did you try to get as much gas in as you could?? have had a few come in for the same problem , they over filled and it would bind the float a the top and get stuck. if you know how just pull up your carpet and remove the unit and un stick it and place it back in, and your good to go .

or could just get under van and bang on the tank and it some times will unstick that way .

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've got a 2000 Odyssey that seems to have a problem with the fuel gauge stuck on full. We filled it in Frisco, CO, drove four hours in heavy, slow traffic on I-70 to get home (approx. 82 miles), and noticed that the gauge was still on full. With a fairly well-loaded down car we get about 20 MPG, which would be about 4 gallons used on a tank that fills at around 17, so by my calculations we used about 1/4 tank. I know sometimes the fuel gauge will drop all of a sudden to "catch up" with the actual fuel consumption, but our gauge hasn't budged. Has anyone had a similar problem?
I replaced t pump and sender (atdealr) and that lastd several years. Yesterday with tempeatues droppin to 24 degrees, all OK until I refueled with gas that was probably 24 deg and the fuel gauge stuck at full - all the way thru 300 miles.

·
Registered
753 Posts
2001. My fuel gauge, got stuck. Then few days later, "fixed itself." IMHO. Just wait a while. No point in pulling the fuel pump unless you really have too...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had this problem on my old Plymouth voyager...turned out that the sender was busted and it was a matter of time when I fried the pump.

Thankfully changing the pump out wasn't too hard...only had to drop a side of the tank to get it....Odyssey is even easier and you can reach the insert from the interior of the van.

Uncommon on this van but I think your sender is going...its a thing that's apart of the fuel pump assembly that tells you how much fuel you have in the tank. My pump was so lame that its just better to replace the whole thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts