Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first time posting, so a little background... We bought our Ody 2 years ago knowing it leaked fluid. It was a repo, so we got a good deal on it & figured we could fix it & have a good van after. We ran it for a couple of weeks before the "D" light on the shifter indicator started blinking. Took it to a dealer & it turned out to be the transmission gone/needing replacing.

We were past the transmission warranty/recall at 119,000 miles, but Honda offered to cover half, so we got a rebuilt tranny installed with a 3/36k warranty for $1,700. We were golden...or so we thought.

Last spring or so, I started having the CEL come on. I had AutoZone check the codes & they said it was most likely my gas cap needing to be on tighter. Did that, it shut off, all was good. Then it started turning on again, periodically coupled with the TCS light, last summer/fall. I did a search on it & found out it was bad news for my tranny.

At that point I was past 36k miles, so my warranty was kaput. I was on my own. We decided to just keep running it on a prayer.. In December I noticed that it started slipping when it was cold. Then one night this past January, it was slipping even when it was warm & gave up the ghost on a hill just a few miles from home. I could smell the fluid burning.

I wish I had come here sooner to read what to do, but live & learn. I did come here after & saw that some parts are weak & if they're rebuilt with better ones, you'll be better off. We went to eBay in search of a tranny & found one for a good price, touting that it is replaced with better parts & has a 2 year warranty, found a garage to do the work & ordered it. (The garage did check to see if they could rebuild it & claimed it was too far gone.)

The tranny got to them, they put it in & called me to say it was done. I called back to get the final cost, and they said it really wasn't done. They took it for a test drive after calling me & it would shift, but it clunked so hard it seemed like it was going to come right out. We called the guy we bought it from....he said they probably put it in wrong. He called the mechanic, mechanic checked to make sure...nope, everything installed fine, sent another tranny.

6 weeks after my tranny quit, I now have my van back. The second one shifts beautiful. However, it makes a whistling/squealing sound driving down the road. When I slow down, it sounds like a siren. They told me when I picked it up that there was a problem. They thought it was the differential possibly, but not sure. They basically were sick of my van & wanted the headache out of their facility. (I won't go back there) We have notified the tranny guy that this is happening, plus I recorded it.

Now...my brother used to be a transmission tech at a dealership. He actually fixed them, not just replaced, and he took it for a test drive for me to see what he thought. He said it's definitely not the differential since it stops making the noise when you slide it into neutral. He said it sounds like a certain valve or coupling is actually missing from the inside of the tranny. (he said the name if it, but I forgot it & it's out in the car on a piece of paper)

This has turned into a major nightmare. We need a third tranny from this guy & I want my van fixed for real! Any suggestions? My husband emailed the guy through eBay so there is a record of it, plus we are keeping track of everything. I am just done & beyond frustrated.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. First of all, I would switch from email to written correspondence, if you want to build a record -- email just evaporates into the ether.

Second, you can spend the next year or more in litigation and dispute resolution with the Ebay guy and still be driving a crippled van in danger of imminent transmission failure. It makes no sense to get a replacement from the guy who just screwed you.

For this reason I would respectfully suggest that you go ahead, bite the bullet, and purchase a quality re-manufactured transmission, and go on with your life -- while pursuing your claim against the Ebay guy.

Gator and Jasper Engines (3 years, 100,000 miles) have a good record with forum members (search) and both give written warranties. You will, of course, again have to find a dependable local installer to install the transmission. Do not go back to your Honda dealer, as you have seen -- it has cost you double and the transmission was junk.

Keep us advised of your progress.

Jasper Transmissions

Gator Transmissions | Rebuilt Transmissions | Remanufactured Transmissions | Automatic & Manual Transmissions for Ford, GM, Chrysler, & Imports | Rebuilt and Remanufactured, Heavy Duty, High Performance Automobile Transmissions

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I forgot to add: call or email Jasper with you VIN number and they will give you a delivered price. Jasper has their own truck and makes weekly deliveries from several distribution centers. Gator is in Chicago area and variable warranty terms are listed on their website

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The reason we're corresponding using eBay is so there is proof of it. That's where we got it from him, and eBay is quite helpful when it comes to resolving issues. Still hoping for the best...the new tranny shifts great. It just sounds so wrong...ugh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not so quick update ...the guy we bought the tranny from reimbursed us for the labor to put the second transmission in & will send a third one if we decide to replace it. He has been quite accommodating. I took it to a transmission garage yesterday to have them run codes. None of the codes were transmission ones, but the TCS light periodically turns on still. CEL is always on. (It coded for a number of other things.)

The guy I bought the transmission from said the whining is probably from the gearing being tight from the rebuild. He said to get the tranny into coast mode, then drop the shifter down to 2nd, then 1st, then move up through each gear, to force the gears to turn & loosen, thus eliminating the sound. So far, it hasn't worked. The garage I went to yesterday said to keep running it, it'll loosen up over time (based on what the other guy said), asked if it was under warranty (it is...he said "good"), and it'll probably be fine. He didn't charge me a dime.

I think I may take it to another shop for another opinion....lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts