Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
01FamHauler said:
What's the easiest way to pull the iacv???? the back screw is a (insert expletive here) to remove. Thanks in advance.
Pull the intake manifold off and clean out the EGR port. But pull the manifold off with the throttle body. I think the hardest part there is that there is a heater hose with coolant connected to the IAC. Remove that and it gets a little easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about just pulling the throttle body itself? I know I'll have to replace the gasket but, wouldn't that be even easier?
I've tried all I can to get the back screw out and it is making life miserable!!!! I've tried several different tools and have even gone a bought a few new thing but nothing is working. I think that the screw head is possibly starting to strip. at least it looks like that in the mirror. i was thinking once I get it out just replacing the srews w/ new bolts.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Trust me, that throttle body is on there pretty damn solid. Removing it is worse than doing the intake manifold.

While, I'd reccomend replacing gaskets on the manifold, you don't have to when pulling it off. Just make sure you tq it down correctly.

I replaced my own IAC with it upside down. I think I only removed the intake hose and the coolant hose to get to it. It took me roughly two hours of hassle to do it but I did it.

two weeks later I was doing the EGR port and realized that it took me about 3 hours to pull the intake manifold out, clean it and reinstall it with new gaskets. I wish I had done the IAC at the same time. I would have except my van was dying and I needed it to drive the next morning not realizing how fast it was to do both. So, now I reccomend doing both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled the throttle body. I already ordered the gasket I just have to wait to pick it up tomorrow morning then I can get everything back together. Removing / scraping off the old gasket was the worst part.
The problem w/ my iacv is that back screw head was stripped out. I went ahead and replaced both screw w/ new ones.
Mistake or not, I think i'm going to wait on the egr port. I'm going to have some time off around Christmas so I'll do it then. (Hopefully!!!!)
Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
you went about the right way, and dont mess with the egr if its not throwing a code

01FamHauler said:
I just pulled the throttle body. I already ordered the gasket I just have to wait to pick it up tomorrow morning then I can get everything back together. Removing / scraping off the old gasket was the worst part.
The problem w/ my iacv is that back screw head was stripped out. I went ahead and replaced both screw w/ new ones.
Mistake or not, I think i'm going to wait on the egr port. I'm going to have some time off around Christmas so I'll do it then. (Hopefully!!!!)
Thanks!

·
Registered
665 Posts
adamrich33 said:
you went about the right way, and dont mess with the egr if its not throwing a code
My egr never threw a code, but the port caused that funny idle, I did the valves and all of them needed adjustment at 140k along with the EGR port being completely gummed up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
After my latest transmission rebuild, the IACV was acting up. Never cleaned at 117000K. Pulled throttle body, turned it upside down and slid it onto bolts and tapped with an impact wrench. Loosened easily and replaced it. Cleaned up the old one as a possible future spare...although the O-ring was bad, not the main gasket. While in there cleaned the EGR, but it didn't need it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just changed my IACV (Idle air control valve, aka "valve set, rotary control) in my 1999 Odyssey and wanted to do it without removing the throttle body but quickly gave up, the rear screw of the two screws holding the IACV on was stuck. I had a little right angle ratcheting screwdriver to gain access but it would not come off.

Taking off the throttle body was a piece of cake! There are two 12mm bolts and two 12 mm nuts to remove, as well as all of the connected wires and tubes. I also removed the cables for the cruise control and throttle - those were easy, the head of the cable slips out of a slot, and the bracket that holds it on to the throttle body is two phillips screws to remove. Somewhere someone went on and on about not wanting to remove these cables for fear of having to set the slack and mess with the idle but I didn't loosen the adjusters so when the cables went back on they were exactly the same tension as before the repair.

To free the throttle body I gently tapped it all around with a little hammer, then put a screwdriver that was ground down to be sharp like a chisel in the corner of the joint closest to the intake manifold with a green paper gasket and gave it a little tap and the throttle body popped off. The gasket was perfect, no need for me to replace.

Once the throttle body was off it was easy to get off the screws on the IACV and replace it. I then saw how hard it would have been to get the gasket/sealing area clean and then get the new IACV on if I had proceeded to do it without removing the throttle body since the work would have been done both blind since you can't see the surface, and upside down with no space for hands. Add to that the difficulty with tightening down the screws symmetrically and I am glad I took off the throttle body. It was easy.

Best of all it works now, no wandering idle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts