Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 3 transmissions and only 146000 miles, I'm giving up on my 01 Ody. The transmission left me and my family stranded on the highway on the 4th of July on our way to the airport. Honda covered 100% of the first two replacement transmissions, but they are not offering any good will this time. I can't say I blame them given the economy we are in, not to mention how many miles are on the van.

I'm wondering if there's any market out there for a van with a burned up transmission, what I might be able to get for it. If anyone has an idea I'd be grateful. It's an 01 EX with rear entertainment.

On a happier note, I'm looking at two replacement Ody's one is an 05 and the other an 06. Both are EX models, I haven't seen or read about any glaring issues with these vans, but welcoming any input or advice you all might have!

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Honda is running TV ads in my area that say the only thing that won’t last with a Honda is these deals. Apparently they forgot the transmissions won’t last either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seriously people should start a letter writing campaign to Honda to complain about this issue.

I'm betting the dealership didn't flush your cooler lines when they put in the new transmission if you experienced this failure so early.

This whole transmission issue has made me reconsider ever purchasing another Honda at this point.

Given the option at this point I'd much rather purchase a Toyota especially after my current Toyota Corrola has 156k and has only had scheduled maintenance and a alternator.

·
Registered
74 Posts
By the way look into the blue book value in good running condition and deduct the price of a new transmission from a reputable shop.

I'm guessing Blue Book minus ~$3100 dollars.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would suggest filing a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA at phone number 1-888-327-4236.

I tried to file online yesterday and when I got to about the third or fourth page it appeared as though none of the options to click on were correct for my vehicle, if I would have filled it out it might never have shown up for an Odyssey and you could not bypass the screen. I’m thinking many others may have done this and their report either shows up under some other product or they gave up. I’m glad I called because I was able to give a more thorough description of the problem on the phone than I could have with their 2000 character restriction online. I’ve read speculation there has been no forced actions on our 5 speed transmission perhaps (again speculation) because it was not considered a safety issue. I would disagree, being stranded, or also in my case in southwest Florida rainy season having a hard 1 to 2 shift caused the front tires to break loose and/or created excessive jerking of the driver and steering wheel which could lead to loss of control and an accident.

I just realized with a 3 yr/36000 mile warranty as I had on my 2003, that ran the warranty out before the first scheduled normal conditions transmission fluid change. Wonder why Honda wanted out of the warranty before it was due a trans fluid change?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Transmission is powertrain which is 5yr/60k isn't it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ugh I didn't realize that. I'm pretty disappointed with Honda on this whole issue which from transmission rebuilders experience seems to be totally solvable for only a couple hundred extra dollars of parts.

·
Registered
482 Posts
tmonter said:
Ugh I didn't realize that. I'm pretty disappointed with Honda on this whole issue which from transmission rebuilders experience seems to be totally solvable for only a couple hundred extra dollars of parts.
went into the shop that i bought my cooler from. they apparently do work for a couple local honda dealers. they tell me it's the crappy clutch packs and/or the TC that go. Most they see is the TC goes, particles clog system (especially the internal paper filter that is enclosed in the case) and starve trans of fluid. then it heats up and it's toast. not news to anyone here.

so yes i guess couple extra $$ from Honda on better clutch packs and a better TC and lots of us wouldn't be complaining

they put in better clutch packs and sturdier TC. rebuild will be in $2,500 area.

:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts