Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Remove the cap on the reservoir and check for bubbles in the fluid (with the engine idling). The plumbing may have an air leak.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is power steering pump original? I remember, there was a "washer", on the pump, that may "leak". I think that caused
the bubbles/noise.

In any case, on my 2001, I changed my power steering pump, got a Dealer re-manufactured one. And I noticed on the re manufactured one, Honda, "modified", that washer connection. Power steering pump, came with the connection/washer "already connected", with a lot of sealer. (I think this was a known, problem, so Honda fixed).

Also, changing the pump, not that difficult. Except, for one "nut", that was extremely difficult to get too.
Check out you-tube. If you have a "flexible ratchet". Then fairly easy. Without, you may be stuck!

Oh, I asked my mechanic, he said on my pump, the bearings going out. Said, it would not fail instantly, but as the noise got louder, it would make you want to replace the pump.....ha

Good luck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Could be the o-ring on the entrance to the pump, or the screen on the bottom of the reservoir can get clogged which effectively starves the pump. It is usually a quick fix - wither of those two. Won't hurt to flush the system and replace the fluid as it is quite easy to do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For short term use I think generic power steering fluid is OK. But I'd flush it out and use Honda PS fluid after the leak is fixed.

·
Registered
642 Posts
IMHO. Stick to Honda power steering fluid.

edit:
If you are able to fix, noise problem, by replacing "washer", You are done. If you use "generic", fluid, and fix the problem, Now you have the added work of flushing out the entire power steering system. IMHO. Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I replaced the power steering reservoir and flushed out the system with Honda power steering oil and my sluggish power steering was back to normal.
The reservoir has a built in strainer that was plugged up causing cavitation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts