Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I spent the afternoon watching/helping my mechanic as he did the pre-delivery inspection of my van, as well as some accessory installation.

He helped with the speakers as well. I went the easy route and got Pioneer TS-A1655s for the front; those went in and screwed in with no problem.

I was a little on my own with the rears. I knew there was more space back there for a deeper speaker, but I didn't know how much more--especially since these are now 6.5 inchers in the rear.

So, I thought about it and chose the Pioneer TS-A1665. Three way and a little deeper.

As we put these puppies in the rear, my mechanic said that these were, as a practical matter, the maximum depth for a replacement speaker back there if you're going to keep the stock grilles and appearance. The driver's side wasn't a problem, but it seems that on the passenger side all the heating and cooling equipment is tucked away in that cavity beside the third row seat and behind the speaker.

The TS-A1665 was actually mounting directly on top of the equipment back there, touching it. It was no problem to install (well, see below), but anything deeper wouldn't have worked at all without modifying the mount and doing a top mount somehow.

So if you want a factory look like I did, don't get anything deeper for the rears than the TS-A1665.

Now, as for mounting these puppies: the Honda 6.5 inch rear speaker has a funky design to the speaker frame, which brings the mounting holes out farther than a standard aftermarket 6.5 incher.

I'm sure that someone will make an adapter for this issue, but it's not a huge deal. On the TS-A1665, for example, we lined up one hole and screwed the speaker in. For the other two holes, we simply screwed the factory speaker mount screw--including washer--into the hole. The edge of the washer catches the edge of the aftermarket speaker and holds it in pretty tight. That's a machine screw, so we got it down tight and the whole thing isn't going anywhere.

Then the grille snapped right on, no problem.

And yes, he lost one of the clips on one of the grilles.
It was on the passenger side, so he couldn't find it amongst all the heating and cooling equipment down there.

The sound? Sounded pretty good. I never heard the factory speakers, but they were pretty pitiful to look at--especially the rears with their paper cones. With the Pioneers in, and no bass module installed yet, there was plenty of bass to work with. I even flirted with the thought of foregoing the bass module. It really did sound pretty good.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You mean to tell me that you have a dealer mechanic who is willing to work *with* you to do stuff like this?!

Great news on the speakers, but this is even more exciting than that!

- Darell

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership is fairly small--not one of those factories--and I sit and talk with my mechanic as he works on my car.

FWIW, he's the only person to touch my cars. So far, the Civic is going great guns.

Yeah, he installed them for me. I bought him lunch, of course.

When I buy the supercharger for my Civic, he'll be right there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Supercharger for a Civic? Good idea! Then you guys will just be a *little bit* slower than us Sentra SE owners! :)

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Supercharger for a Civic? Good idea! Then you guys will just be a *little bit* slower than us Sentra SE owners! :)</font>
Ah! Another SR20DE owner.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Supercharger for a Civic? Good idea! Then you guys will just be a *little bit* slower than us Sentra SE owners! :) </font>
hehehehe Actually, I'd be happy with not feeling like I let out two boat anchors every time I turn on the A/C.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah the Sentra can be the same - I don't use the A/C very often, and I have been known to stall the damn car on occaison when I do - it affects the revs and the clutch release THAT much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts