Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate any help guys. The van drives fine, just using more gas recently.

Thanks

Ravi

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is it getting up to normal running temperature as quickly as it used to? Maybe the thermostat needs replacing.

Correct air pressure in the tires?

How many miles on it? What mileage are you getting?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine too. It started declining at about 101k early last summer. No codes. I've replaced plugs, EGR, oil, trans fluid, air filter, always run synthetic fluids since 8k. Timing belt, water pump, coolant, belts, all replaced at 80k. Currently have 106k on it.

Mileage drop has been 25 down to 22 hwy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No temperature issues. I was wondering if this could mean the decline of the Oxygen sensors??

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Any abnormal smells when you park the car after driven on the highway? Check all wheels and see if you find one lot hotter than others.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I haven't noticed any smells but this may be the excuse I need to buy a laser thermometer from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
What is the mpg? By declining what are you using to determine that? Guesswork doesn't mean anything. If the O2 sensors were deteriorating enough to cause noticeable decline they would be throwing a code as all functions of it are monitored closely by the PCM. It can also be checked with an obd2 scanner as well as most of the other sensors on the engine.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You don't need laser thermometer to see if a brake is dragging e.g. frozen caliper or stuck parking brake but it is a good excuse to get the thermometer. I picked one up from HF it is cheap but does not give consistent results.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
+1 to check the engine temperature. The dash guage is useless for diagnosis. Many OBDII readers can also read the engine temperature. That's the value the PCM gets. Mine was cool by only 5 F degrees, and it affected fuel mileage. A good OBDII reader is a must-have.

Also, check the air filter. And try changing fuel brands. They may be adding more ethanol, which lowers fuel economy. Even try a tank or two of PetroCan 91 - it has 0% ethanol.

You could also get an emissions test. That would tell you if the fuel and ignition systems are okay. If so, then it may be something mechanical.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Scangauge (the original one in the homemade looking box) so I am wondering which var you are referring to when you say engine temp? Coolant temp? The air filter is new.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Coolant temp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts