Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3-4 times since I bought my Odyssey the engine has to be cranked about 4-5 seconds before it "stumbles" to life. I've got about 600 miles on it now, and it's about 3 weeks old.

The rest of the time it barely has to crank and the engine takes off in a smooth running condition.

Has anyone else noticed this??? It's always on a cold engine running either Sheetz or Citgo fuel.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaners:
3-4 times since I bought my Odyssey the engine has to be cranked about 4-5 seconds before it "stumbles" to life. I've got about 600 miles on it now, and it's about 3 weeks old.

The rest of the time it barely has to crank and the engine takes off in a smooth running condition.

Has anyone else noticed this??? It's always on a cold engine running either Sheetz or Citgo fuel.

</font>
I've had that to happen a couple of times too.
I have about 2500 miles on my 02 EX. I will mention it to them when it goes in for service. I use mostly Marathon Gas.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It's happened once in 1700 miles.

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Winter Blizzaks on GXE rims).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

·
Registered
596 Posts
We have had such a thing happen on our '01 a couple or three times. It just seems to have to clear its throat, much like it partly flooded. When it happened to me, I opened the throttle, as suggested in the manual(yeah, I read it) and that seemed to allow some fresh air in and it cleared out and started, much as the old carbureted motors used to do, back in the "bad ol' days".

Jerry O.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What Jerry said for my 2002 with 4000 miles also. I wait a few second and try again and it starts great. It seems the van does have a few "quirks".

[This message has been edited by RonD (edited 01-08-2002).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Shaners,

Questions: Had you recently filled the tank up and if so, did you top off?

I've had my '01 LX give me problems when I've topped off too much. There is an evaporative emissions system that collects fuel vapors and prevents them from going to the atmosphere. On the next start up, the system rounts these vapors to the engine to be burned. If you top the tank too much, you can wind up flooding the evaporative emissions system and subsequently, the engine on the next start up. The only time I've had a problem with this has been the next day after filling the fuel tank the previous evening. I don't fill the tank beyond the second click off of the gas pump and I've not had this problem since.

This may or may not be your problem but it's something to consider.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Absolutely - we experience the same cranking problem (we have less than 1000km on the vehicle). We use premium fuel. Seems to be worse on colder days. The car will always start - perhaps this problem will go away once the van is past its break in period.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaners:

</font>

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is about 1500-1600 miles on the van now and we've had for 2 1/2 months. I haven't noticed the problem again (but I don't drive the van much), but more importantly, my wife has complained about it so maybe it is getting better. It could be a quirk in the ECM that happens during the break-in period.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4 GM-Trucks.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
This happened to me at the dealership when I was taking delivery of my ODY last weekend. I haven't had any problems starting it since then. I'm still on the same tank of gas so I haven't had a chance to fill it up yet.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I think this happens when the ignition system has trouble recognizing the code in the key. Mine still does this, although rarely. Isolate your other metal and keys from the ignition key, pull and reinsert and try again -- usually starts right up.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR.
Honda "Masters" GXV140, 135 cc. mower.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think Sinbad nailed it. I had the problem and found that if I removed the key, reinserted it and waited a second, that the engine jumped right to life as usual.
It has to be something like that. I have had similar incidences with my Lincoln which has a key recognition system also.

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the same problems on my '02 as well. Hadn't thought about the key though it sounds like that's prolly the issue.

Only have 400km on it and have had it happen 2-3 times already.:(

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
3100 miles and still NO hard starts. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts