Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get in my 2002 EX the other day and suddenly it just popped back like I had reclined it fully. Now it wont stay up period. I just searched the forum topics and couldnt seem to find a match. Any insights on this particular problem would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Do you (or anyone) know about what the cost is of getting this fixed? The links to the honda parts place designated (which refer to a part #20 and #21 seem to no longer exist).
Thanks again,
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed!

Took into dealer today and they fixed it for under $100. Turns out a couple of bolts had broken and a weld. They were able to fix it by simply replacing the bolts. This said I am a very happy camper! The other problem folks have described sounds pretty expensive for something like this.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,832 Posts
One of the links above refers to a TSB 01-066. I've searched the site for it and googled and cannot find a free copy. Can someone point one to me?

My '99 has what seems like a similar problem, but not as bad as the OP. I took it apart a year or so ago to investigate. There are a few different documented problems with the seat. For example, Honda TSB 02-059 refers to additional shims to reduce the side-to-side wobble. But this does not seem to be a problem for us.

We've got an up-down wobble and if leaning back while adjusting up, it will skip.

From taking it apart and investigating ...
The up-down wobble is due to the several rivets in the seat frame base ("ADJUSTER ASSY. L. SLIDE") (81660-S0X-A21) and recline adjuster assembly (81630-S0X-A21) having worn enough to allow motion. Does not appear to be easily repairable - these components would probably need to be replaced ($648 for seat frame base, $215 for recline adjuster assembly)

The skipping of the recline adjuster can be avoided by leaning forward while adjusting the recline. A motor twists a cable which probably drives a worm gear which turns a pinion gear which moves the rack. All of this is part of the recline adjuster assembly. Since it is assembled by rivets (big ones), this is probably non-serviceable. Potential safety issue at some point if this problem worsens to allow the seat back to recline by itself (e.g., during acceleration); not clear if this could happen, or if the worm gear would prevent this - i.e., it will slip when being driven, but will not back-slip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts