Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems to me my 02 EX is sucking up lots of gas. My mpg is like around 15mpg (25% city and 75% highway). How r the others here doing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 891 miles, I average 16.5 mpg. Last tankful, I drove 66% highway and only got 18.6 mpg. Not quite up to the EPA figures Honda quotes. I have not been driving aggressively either. nyone know if the Odysseys improve in mileage as the engine breaks in. My Honda dealer actually told me mileage wouldn't stabilize at a higher value until 15K miles.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My old '99 EX started out at about 23 highway and got steadyly better. I finally was getting 28 plus on the interstate. Maybe yours will pickup. I only have 50 miles on my 02 EX L but I will watch it closely. Also changing from high test to regular should help about 8%.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My first tank of my 02 was 23mpg; that was half city, half highway.

Since then it's been city, reliably hanging in there at 19.5mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We only have about 600 miles on ours so far, but we got about 22 on the first tank and almost 24 on the second tank. That was probably a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After a month and 1500 miles overall mpg is 15.73 with about half city half hwy. Best mpg is 20 and worst is 12.

------------------
'02 EP Odyssey EX
'92 Accord LX
'86 CIVIC Si

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A. B. Hair:
Also changing from high test to regular should help about 8%.</font>
Whoa! Why do you suppose you'd get 8% better mileage on regular gasoline? If true, why would you burn anything else?

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
329 Posts
I calculated the mileage for the first time the other day. We have almost 700 miles on the van. We got 21 mpg, mixed highway/town driving.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I just wanted to note that not everyone calculates mileage the same way: <ul>[*]Filling up, with the car parked on the level.[*]Dividing the actual total fuel consumption into the actual odometer distance.[/list]

Sometimes people estimate: "Oh, I used about 1/2 tank of gas and drove 175 miles."

Or, they put in a couple of gallons to get the needle back to 3/4, and use this partial refill estimate.

Apologies in advance to those who are thorough...

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

·
Registered
192 Posts
Different driving habits (ie lead-foot's) provide different figures, however, these figures are all over the place. Forgive me if this has been covered before, but... has the fuel guage "problem" been fixed for 2002? Are some of these figures due to "inaccurate" fuel readings?

Guess switching to 5W-20 oil wasn't all it was cracked-up to be!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
Are some of these figures due to "inaccurate" fuel readings?</font>
If measured correctly (reading the odometer between fillups) mileage is independent of the fuel gauge.

IMHO, the gauge should be ignored when calculating mileage.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

'02 RP EX-L due 10/17

·
Registered
192 Posts
Of course the fuel gauge should be ignored. What I was referring to was the following: A person fills the tank (either half or full). They see the guage reads Full and then compute the mpg using the odometer and 10 gallons (1/2) or 20 gallons (full tank). However, both of these figures are wrong for a 2001 Ody as the gauge does not register actual tank capacity at anything other than Full. (If you filled your tank when it hit 1/2, you would NOT have put in 10 gallons of gas to reach Full) Unless people are actually reading the pump or the receipt, the numbers will be off. This MAY explain some of these numbers.

I'm just trying to figure out how the range of numbers posted is possible.

·
Registered
564 Posts
With a vehicle this heavy, it is quite easy to get these huge differences. If person A drives in a town where he stops at every block, his mileage will suck. If person B drives in a town where there isn't so much stop-and-go his mileage will be substantially higher. At 4400 pounds, these things take a LOT to get them going. A lighter car will have a tighter mileage range, typically.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have about 800 miles on mine, and have been disappointed in the milage. I drive about 50/50 city/hwy., but a lot of stop and start for the daily errands and kid things. Milage has been about 15 - 15.5 mpg for each tank. I expected much better. How can it be that some are getting close to 20 or more? I am in CA, if that matters. I think there is some different additive in the gas here which affects milage. I am open to suggestions for better milage.

thanks,
Karen

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
Of course the fuel gauge should be ignored...A person fills the tank (either half or full). They see the guage reads Full and then compute the mpg using the odometer and 10 gallons (1/2) or 20 gallons (full tank).</font>
One hopes that the driver does not use the fuel gauge at all when calculating the mileage. Only two data are needed: <ul>[*]The distance as read from the odometer since the last complete fill up[*]The actual volume of fuel used to refill the tank.[/list]
I apologize for belaboring the point, I just wanted to make sure it was clear that one should not use the fuel gauge in any fashion when calculating the actual mileage. Mileage estimates that include ANY reading of the fuel gauge are invalid.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

'02 RP EX-L due 10/17

·
Registered
596 Posts
I know it is probably not intentional, but, fuel mileage discussions usually come off sounding like a "liar's club" meeting. The only way to really get a good read on mileage is to average several tanks, thus decreasing the error factor. I keep track of every mile and every gallon (in one of those "silly little Dad's books, as my girls used to call it) and compute every tank and once in a while do an over-all average. I have taken several trips in mine and the trip average is always right at 24 mpg, which usually includes a tank of local driving at our destination. By the way, the 2002s are designed to run on regular fuel and I do not believe that premium can add power or torque, as it did on the earlier models.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an FYI to my earlier reply. I always use actual odometer miles and actual fuel added from the pump receipt. My overall average of 16.5 mpg was taken looking at total fuel added over 891 miles. Still what I'd consider somewhat disappointing since we have tried to baby this thing (~50/50 split on city/highway for this entire period). The Volvo V70 T5 we traded in got better mileage, so I have to listen to my wife's complaints (although regular unleaded sure is cheaper than premium).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts