Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the features from the MDX I was hoping would be integrated with the 02 Ody was its ULEV rating. The Ody seems to be inheriting the tweaks made to achieve roughly the same HP as the MDX engine, but didn't inherit the ULEV emissions rating. Can anyone help explain this?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I noticed this too; maybe they are in different catagories or something? My '98 Accord (4 year old technology) IS a ULEV-go figure!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lifer:
One of the features from the MDX I was hoping would be integrated with the 02 Ody was its ULEV rating. The Ody seems to be inheriting the tweaks made to achieve roughly the same HP as the MDX engine, but didn't inherit the ULEV emissions rating. Can anyone help explain this?</font>
Perhaps it is because the Odyssey is tweaked to run on regular gas, while the MDX requires premium?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The MDX engine is not exactly the same as the 02 Ody engine. There are some differences that cause the peak torque to be different. The 01 MDX engine also requires premium unleaded fuel.

The MDX ULEV rating is for light trucks - which is a slightly different standard than for passenger cars (which the Ody is).

·
Registered
194 Posts
The 2002 Odyssey is fully compliant with California's ULEV standards.

It is stated on page 1 of the Canadian brochure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, pd55, if that's for real, I'm shocked they didn't try and sell that up more in their announcements of improvements for this year's model.

Is this also on the US brochure (don't have one yet)? If not, it'd be curiously absent. I mean they just couldn't forget such a big selling feature, could they?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is the text verbatim:

"Odyssey is the most powerful standard equipped front-wheel drive vehicle in its class with an all new 240 Horsepower engine designed to meet California's stringent Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standard."

Actually - I just noticed LEV versus ULEV - is there a differnce here that I am missing?

[This message has been edited by PD55 (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pd55,

Yes, there's a pretty big difference between LEV (low emissions vehicle) and ULEV (ultra low emissions vehicle). Bottom line, ULEV is a lot cleaner burning than LEV.

They Ody's have been LEV since at least 99.

The MDX is ULEV but the Ody's just LEV.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts