Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 Odyssey, which we love and this is the first time the trans has had any problems. From what I read so far its the typical way the trans goes out. TCS light went on, engine malfunction light went on, gear slipped from 2nd to 3rd, wouldnt downshift and finally felt like the torque converter completely gave out. We were stuck for a while, I reset by turning off the ignition and waiting a few minutes, it helped. By the time we got home I could smell the trans fluid burning.Any information/advice is much appreciated. Is there anyone that beefs up the trans so this wont happen again? what kind of cost can i expect and whats the cheapest way to go about it? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Welcome to the Odyclub and sorry for the loss of your transmission.

Your search terms on here are either Jasper or Gator. Gator is a bit cheaper. They both seem to get rave reviews on here and it seems they both enhance the passages to help the tranny last. Look for posts for those two terms and then decide on one. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have an '02 Odyssey, which we love and this is the first time the trans has had any problems. From what I read so far its the typical way the trans goes out. TCS light went on, engine malfunction light went on, gear slipped from 2nd to 3rd, wouldn't downshift and finally felt like the torque converter completely gave out. We were stuck for a while, I reset by turning off the ignition and waiting a few minutes, it helped. By the time we got home I could smell the trans fluid burning.Any information/advice is much appreciated. Is there anyone that beefs up the trans so this wont happen again? what kind of cost can i expect and whats the cheapest way to go about it? Thanks
Have you checked the ATF? Is it low, dark color, burnt smell? Have you tried to drain and refill the ATF 3 times or so with synthetic ATF? It is unlikely at this point, but you might be able to stave off replacing the transmission. Sounds like the ATF overheated and the CPU threw you into limp-home mode. Keep us advised of your progress. Would also suggest Jasper or Gator rather than Honda replacement -- Honda has history of repeated failure of the replacement transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts