Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know what the reason is for the steering wheel to shake at freeway speeds of 65 and up (NOT breaking, just cruising).
I was definite it was the tires, and after installation of 2 new front, it did NOT go away
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
(Mileage is 149,000 miles)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check to make sure that the wheel nuts are tight, if noisy, you could have a faulty bearing. I have a shake in my tires right now, and I'm leaning toward some worn out suspension components. A good way to find out if you have some worn components is to jack up the front, and give the wheels a tug, side to side, and up and down. If you have some side to side movement, worn out tie rod ends, up and down, ball joints most likely.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Try rotating the tires front-to-back. If the vibration remains, the problem is likely in the suspension.

Another point about the lug nuts: they should be tightened by hand using a torque wrench. A shop using an air gun is unacceptable. It can distort the wheel or the hub.

This van is very sensitive to accurate wheel balance. Try having the wheels rebalanced at a different shop. Equipment and skill vary widely. A racing shop may be a good bet as their customers are generally very demanding of their cars' performance.

·
Registered
896 Posts
02, Must have lot's of miles? IMHO. Shaking at high speeds. Safety issue? If it were me, might be time to see your "trusted" mechanic. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.