Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Wanted to pass along a tiny bit of encouragement on the '02 pricing. The dealer we're working with has said at least twice that he feels fairly certain that the increase would be no more than $400. Kind of hard to believe, but I sure hope he's right. He felt that the marginal increases on the other vehicles Honda makes is indicative of what they would do on the ody too. We put ourselves on the list for one this past saturday and got a great deal since we're dealing with a place that we bought from before. With all the improvements, I'm really glad we waited.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the info but I doubt he/she is correct. side air bags alone will cost about 800 at least I feel. Does he know when pricing will be available?

Can you ask you dealer friend if the DVD rumor (not being ready until later on in the year) is correct?

Steven

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Side front airbags on the Grand Caravan are optional at $390. I agree with ckonarske. By making them standard equipment on the '02, the actual cost should be less.

------------------
'02 Redrock EX on order

·
Registered
57 Posts
A "small" increase is consistent with what has been heard elsewhere. My dealer thinks it will be in the $500-$700 range and bases that on the small Accord increase and Honda's desire to offer value.

However, I'm just guessing here but the leather and entertainment options may be a different story. If you chose to "self-inflict" luxury appointments on your vehicle you may pay. Honda can then still correctly state that the "base price" is a good value.

This much I know when anyone gets pricing this board will be the second place to have it. What a place to get timely information.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wallstreet123456:
Thanks for the info but I doubt he/she is correct. side air bags alone will cost about 800 at least I feel. Does he know when pricing will be available?

Can you ask you dealer friend if the DVD rumor (not being ready until later on in the year) is correct?

Steven
</font>
He did not know when the pricing would be available. He was surprised that he didn't have it already, in fact, he thought he did have them since he had prices for all the other '02 models on a sheet direct from Honda.

I'll check w/ him on the DVD question. Unfortunately, we knew more than him about most the changes. I hadn't heard that about the DVD though.

Dealer friend is kind of an oxymoron huh? They've done right by us before and he put in writing what he was willing to do on the '02 so, things are cool so far. There's little haggling to be done on these things. Either they'll come off MSRP or they won't.

We know now for sure that we will take a hard hit on our '01. We had them appraise it just for the heck of it. They initially gave us a price of 24k then when we reminded them it had been hit they came back at 17k -- ouch. Back to plan A -- we'll be selling it ourselves and recoup the diminution in value from insurance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bluesramsrock:
A "small" increase is consistent with what has been heard elsewhere. My dealer thinks it will be in the $500-$700 range and bases that on the small Accord increase and Honda's desire to offer value.

However, I'm just guessing here but the leather and entertainment options may be a different story. If you chose to "self-inflict" luxury appointments on your vehicle you may pay. Honda can then still correctly state that the "base price" is a good value.

This much I know when anyone gets pricing this board will be the second place to have it. What a place to get timely information.
</font>
I think you're probably right on all 3 points. We tentatively requested an EXL-Nav but if we pass out when the prices come in we'll just do the EX. The dealer put us down for either they're being pretty flexible.

·
Registered
141 Posts
3odys4me --

What sort of '01 trade-in do you have and how many miles have you racked up on it?

Just curious as I am pondering exploring this trade-up route myself

My '01 EX has 330 miles... I'm hoping to trade up without too much impact -- seeing as I've barely even driven it and they can easily sell it as a demo. But... I know dealers..

------------------
2001 Mesa Beige EX

·
Registered
196 Posts
I checked into a Toyota highlander leather option and it listed for app. $1100.00. Typically, Honda's leather quality is much lower than Toyota's but on the other hand, the ODY has more surface area to cover than Highlander. It's probably safe to assume the ODY leather will be in the $1000.00 to $1500.00 range.

The entertainment options vary quite a bit from mfg. to mfg. Honda will be the first to offer DVD. $1500.00 to $1800.00? Anybody's guess.

I was told by an employee at Honda America that the 02 pricing would not be announced until at least the 23rd of August and maybe later than that. I have about a 75% confidence level in that information being correct.

------------------
Tom
2002 MB EX-L ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wallstreet123456:

Steven
</font>
Check out this website - www.hondanews.com - it has all the new options and pictures of the 2002 Odyssey.

Pictures of the DVD Player (and the rest) are at:
http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/honda/odyssey/index_images.html?kw=currenthonda

I am not seeing a pricing update yet for the 2002 model, but expect one soon!

Wildcat

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pummal:
3odys4me --

What sort of '01 trade-in do you have and how many miles have you racked up on it?

Just curious as I am pondering exploring this trade-up route myself

My '01 EX has 330 miles... I'm hoping to trade up without too much impact -- seeing as I've barely even driven it and they can easily sell it as a demo. But... I know dealers..
</font>
I have an '01 GG EX. But, as I mentioned, it was hit. It's had $13k+ worth of work done on it (a net $7k loss in value.) Prior to being hit, it was perfect. Average mileage (approx. 10k) and very clean with an audiovox mobile video system.
If you want to get an '02 I would just retail your '01 yourself. You'll always do better generally. But, it doesn't hurt to ask them what they'll give you for it. To you it's new to them it's a used car that's been titled. They like to talk about deprcectiation when they are the buyers. Like you said, you know dealers... The things you have going for you are the facts that the ody retains its value and '01's are getting harder to come by. Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
3odys4me --

Well, selling it myself is a good option, but I think it may be hard to minimize loss in my case. In your case, you've driven the van for awhile, so you expect any depreciation you get. In my case, it is still brand new and any loss at all seems terrible

Also, selling it myself I will definitely lose my sales tax payout, and have to pay the whole tax on the '02 all over again.

So, with the trade-in, I'll only pay tax on the difference between the trade and the '02 price. Might help lower my loss.

Does this make sense to you? I'm been racking my brain on spreadsheets to come up with numbers on how much I need for trade in order to lose less than I would selling (accounting for tax). I'm pretty brain fried

Two dealers offered me less than 23,000 for trade-in. haha! One dealer is considering making a better offer, but I haven't heard what it is yet. I think I need significantly more than that on trade to beat selling on the street.

------------------
2001 Mesa Beige EX

·
Registered
57 Posts
"Well, selling it myself is a good option, but I think it may be hard to minimize loss in my case. ... In my case, it is still brand new and any loss at all seems terrible"

To this point, the bigger the price increase for 2002 the better your virtually brand-new Ody looks to someone! You certainly want to sell this outright, you will have NO problem selling this for about what you paid for it.

I'd knock $500 off what you paid and give it a shot. Since a full warranty is in effect, the buyer is taking no risk.

"Also, selling it myself I will definitely lose my sales tax payout, and have to pay the whole tax on the '02 all over again.

So, with the trade-in, I'll only pay tax on the difference between the trade and the '02 price. Might help lower my loss."

This is not true in my state (Missouri) you are entitled to the same trade-in deduction when you sell it outright as if you traded it in.

I've done this a couple of times. I had to get a form from the department of motor vehicles that I believe had to be notarized and signed by the buyer but it worked fine.

Contact your state office I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think in Cal. you pay the whole sales tax amount regardless of your trade in. I have never traded in a vehicle so I'm not sure, I would not allow a dealer to have my car for far less than it's worth!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife called Honda Customer service yesterday and they told her that the prices for the 2002 will be released next Friday, August 17th. FYI - She heard from a dealer that red will not be available until the end of the year.

I have a question - We just put down $500 and signed one of those buyer's agreements for a beige 2001 EX (one of two left that the dealer is expecting in his Sept allocation, before the 2002's start). Do any of you think it will be a problem getting the dealer to switch that $500 to a 2002 if we change our minds? We found out what was on the 2002 yesterday at the HondaNews site, after we gave the dealer our money, of course (and Honda cust serv didn't know when the prices were coming out before we signed, either). The agreement says on the back that the dealer can keep the money for their expenses if we break the contract, but that doesn't seem to me to be good business practice if they want to keep us as customers. My wife had talked to a couple of other dealers and they said the $500 was refundable. I was wondering what any of you think about it, if anyone had done something similar, before we talk to our dealer. We are a little tight on money, so if the 2002 is $800-1000 more, we will probably stick with the 2001 (we got about $500 off MSRP on it).

Also -what do you think the improvements on the 2002's will do to the resale values of 1999-2001's? Is a 2002 at MSPR a much better "investment" than a 2001 below MSRP?

·
Registered
36 Posts
We had a deposit with a dealer who special-ordered an Odyssey for us (they didn't have anything coming in that matched what we wanted). While we were waiting another dealer called us and had one in stock, so we bought it from them.

To make sure I didn't have a hard time getting our deposit back, I told the first dealer that they were getting ready to lay off a bunch of people at our company, and so we decided not to get the van right now (which eerily came true a couple weeks later, BTW). Anyway, they first asked me if it would help if they dropped the price! That blew me away - I didn't ask how much because I knew if I showed any interest they would hammer me to try and keep the deal, but I would really like to have known how far they would go.

As for resale value - it always hurts when a new model comes out, especially when there is a redesign or in this case, a "freshening". I don't think it will impact the Odyssey too bad, because they are still scarce. And, unless the price increase is huge, there will be a lot of demand for the new vans, so they will be scarce and more people will be willing to "compromise" on an older model. Of course, this doesn't matter for us. We're driving ours into the ground. I really want this to be the last minivan I have to buy, but our kids are only 1 and 4, so we'll see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you sure about red not being available until the end of ther year? The blue won't be until spring but there are already a lot of reds on order. No one else has mentioned this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Curculio,

You "should" have no problem getting them to switch your deposit to a 2002 model. I think even if you decided to walk away altogether, you could probably get it back.

G'luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Curculio:
My wife called Honda Customer service yesterday and they told her that the prices for the 2002 will be released next Friday, August 17th. FYI - She heard from a dealer that red will not be available until the end of the year.

</font>
It looks as though Honda has the same difficulties with internal communication as most other companies. I was told twice by the person at Honda America who is handling my 01 replacement that prices would'nt be available until August 23rd or later. I hope your source is correct because we ordered leather on our 02 and don't know what it is going to cost yet. We are a little nervous

------------------
Tom
2002 MB EX-L Soon!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Curculio and others,
My dealer confirmed that the redrock pearl is definitely available and my van will be here in September. Either your dealer or wife mixed up the information as it was passed down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts