Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Ody pulls to the right. The steering wheel is also slightly tilted. This is obvious since I can compare it to my accord. Anyone else noticed the same problem?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know if this is similar to the comments from '01 owners, but several people commented on a similar pull to the right. I forget in which discussion the topic was, but try a search. Hope this helps.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
5 Posts
The "pulling to the right" problem is a known issue for '00 and '01's. There's a technical service bulletin posted around here regarding that specific problem on '00 Ody's. As for the steering wheel, my '01 EX exhibits the same tilt and from what I've read, it seems to be normal for the Odyssey (as well as the CRX).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have the dealer check it out. It may need an alignment or a sub-frame adjustment. Anyway it is easily cured. Check previous posts on this problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2002 EX-L pulls to the right just slightly but definately needs an alignment. The tilted steering wheel drives me nuts. I've noticed some right pulling when braking as well.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fanyu:
My 2002 Ody pulls to the right. The steering wheel is also slightly tilted. This is obvious since I can compare it to my accord. Anyone else noticed the same problem?</font>

------------------
2002 EX-L
replaced front speakers w/ JLA's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the dealer last week to fix the pulling problem. Gave them the technical service bulletin up front. It took them a whole day and by the end of it, still wasn't fixed. One mechanic said it was within limits, another one did the alignment and shifted the subframe, but it still pulls. The steering wheel, which used to tilt to the right when I let go, now looks more straight, but the pulling to the right symptom is still there. They asked me to bring it in another day and they will call Honda's technical line for help. I am getting the feeling that this is a small problem that takes too much of my time, so I won't take it in again until the next oil change. For now I will just drive with at least one hand on the wheel :)

Does anyone know of a more competent dealership/mechanic close to Irvine regarding this problem? Would be glad to find out.

-Fan
2002 MB LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Did they try switching the front tires side to side? Sometimes a tire can cause a pull and it will go away if it is switched to the other side and runs in the opposite direction. There could also be something going on in the brake system. You could have a piston which is sticky (don't know why this would happen in a new, clean system) which is causing the brake to drag a bit. Just thinkin'.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
The technical bulletin talks about sapping the tires side to side. But that concerns me: If the swap fixes the pulling problem, the bulletin tells the mechanic to tell the customer that it is all fixed. To me, if this fixes the problem, then there is at least one defective tire invloved. If swapping the tires fixes the pull, what happens during the next rotation? Broken again, I guess. I would not accept a tire on my car that causes a pull no matter which way it is rotating.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure whether the mechanics switched the tires. In any case, if this would solve the problem that would indicate that the tires are of unequal sizes? Tractors drawn by 2-year olds come to mind - not a pretty sight for your family vehicle!

Anyone knows what the long-term consequence is if this goes unfixed? I did ask the mechanic and he told me it would lead to faster wear of the tires. I think this is fine as long as it does not cause damage to the steering mechanism, like vibration at higher speeds for example. My hands still tremble from that used Integra I had back in college.

-Fan
2002 MB LX

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '02 EX has a slight pull to the left! It's something I never noticed until this thread. I talked to the dealer and they told me to bring it in and they'll correct the problem. I think it is something that can wait until it's first maint.

------------------
'02 EP Odyssey EX
'92 Accord LX
'86 CIVIC Si

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, if the cure is swapping the tires, it would indicate a tire problem. I would then rotate my tires only back-to-front-to-back and not side to side. I have done this before and never seen another problem. Of course, if you can get the tire folks to replace the grouchy tire, all the better.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
By steering wheel "tilted" do you mean that it is rotated a bit off center when you are going straight down the road? If so, you should ask them to realign the front end with the wheel in the straight ahead position. Part of a good wheel alignment is to be sure the wheel is centered. That way, the steering system will function properly and it would be especially important on variable ratio systems.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now my steering wheel is straight (actually very slightly to the left) when I keep the van going straight. This must be because they did the alignment. But when I let go, the steering wheel will move off center to the right, and the van still drifts.

I just don't understand why the steering mechanism could be affected by so many factors. What is the purpose of a subframe that could be shifted? Why can't they build a car with a single piece of steel, and, assuming that they align the steering wheel and the tires are identical in size, the car would go on a straight line? This would make it easier to diagnose the problem.

Anyway, my wife doesn't seem to lose any sleep over this and I will adopt her mentality for now. Off to enjoying other aspects of the van!

-Fan
2002 MB LX

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally took our '02 EX-L on an extended drive over the weekend and noticed that it too has a slight pull to the left! Haven't talked with the dealier yet, but plan to have it checked out.

------------------
02 EX-L TW

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honda Spec as per the DSM: A complete lane change @ 60 MPH in 10 seconds.

If you car does not do a complete lane change in 10 seconds your car is not broken. You may not agree with that but that is what Honda's specs are! I have dealt with this on another vehicle, they hold to their specs. If you have a car that is perfect feel lucky, because it was pure luck.

Shifting the beam or cross rotating the tires is basically the only adjustment the dealer can make. Since road crown varies(angle of road to edge), Honda sets the alignment to a mean. Which is not the best for some areas and better for others.
If cross rotation fixed the vehicle there maybe nothing wrong with the tires or car. It maybe a matter of tolerance stacking.
The tires have an inherent pull & the car has an inherent pull. If the tolerances aren't set to counteract each other, the vehicle pulls.

What to do!
Ride with the dealer. I know it is a hassle and show them what you are experiencing. Also, expect to leave it all day, the more time they can spend the better.
If you car is out of Honda spec they will/have to fix it.

PS: Don't get steering wheel is off center confused with pulling. When driving straight down the road the wheel should be straight, if it isn't and you straighten out the wheel and then it pulls the steering wheel is off center.

PSS: I used to work in an alignment shop, so this is a quick explanation. There is alot more than you think. Becasue when you change one thing you affect others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fanya: do you have an LX or EX?

We test drove an LX last Saturday that was pulling to the right noticably. When we told the salesperson, they took in right in and did an alignment. Although the vehicle was brand new, the alignment was off a bit. When we took it back out, it still pulled to the right - but not as severely. We tried it on several roads and it continued to drift to the right when we took our hands off the steering wheel. We were told by the mechanic (their best) that we should expect a slight pull to the right when accelerating from a complete stop - that was from the FWD - torque. But the pull was while we were already in motion. The only time we did not notice it was on the highway at 65 mph. They rechecked it to be sure the wheels were balanced etc., and we were assured it was perfectly fine. But it still pulled. And so we pulled out of the sale.
I wonder if the fact that the LX has Bridgestone tires versus the EX with Michelins makes any difference. We test drove an EX a few weeks ago and noticed no pull at all.
So anyway, after the pull on the last test drive I noticed your post and wondered if you had an EX or LX.
We haven't bought yet, but have a deposit on an EX that hasn't arrived yet.
Thanks for the info and letting me bend your ear!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think LX and EX make any difference. I tested an EX last week and it had the problem. My EX which I picked up 3 days ago is ok.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fanyu:
My 2002 Ody pulls to the right. The steering wheel is also slightly tilted. This is obvious since I can compare it to my accord. Anyone else noticed the same problem?</font>
<center><font color=red>After 9/11, </font><font color=blue>much of the West </font><font color=red>is pulling to the</font> <font color=blue>right...
</font></center>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 10-18-2001).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts