Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 27 14.2%

• Total voters
161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
My doors have held suprisingly well. One died a few days ago, big bang each time the door ran as the nylon wheel pulled itself apart. I couldn't find the parts and have them on order. I simply got a stack of nylon washers, bent the clip a little and hammered the washers over the now deformed clip. To my suprise it works like new and will act as a stop gap till the actaul e-clip and brass spacers come :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a great repair, but the Lowe's nylon is just not durable. This being the third time I've now had to do the repair, I decided to step up the materials. I found these stainless steel spacers on Amazon, which were near perfect (sorry I couldn't post the link - I still haven't posted enough to this site to have permissions to post a link):

[h=1]Round Spacer, 18-8 Stainless Steel, Plain Finish, #10 Screw Size, 1/2" OD, 0.192" ID, 3/16" Length[/h]
They were $6 for a set of 5. The interior diameter was a hair too small, so I opened them up just a little using a 13/64" bit (don't use a 7/32" bit - it's too big). One spacer seated perfectly, but one of my posts was a little mashed up and the spacer wouldn't quite fit over the end of it, so I had to sand around the end of the post a smidge to get the spacer to slide on easily. But once over the end of the post, it fit perfectly as well. Once that fidgeting was done, I was finished in a flash. It was easier than using the nylon spacer because the spacers are exactly the right height (3/16" instead of 1/4") and don't need to be ground down. After the fix, the rollers moved smoothly and my door was back in business, hopefully for the last time.

Hope this helps someone else make a better repair.

Best,
Shawn

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a great repair, but the Lowe's nylon is just not durable. This being the third time I've now had to do the repair, I decided to step up the materials. I found these stainless steel spacers on Amazon, which were near perfect (sorry I couldn't post the link - I still haven't posted enough to this site to have permissions to post a link):

[h=1]Round Spacer, 18-8 Stainless Steel, Plain Finish, #10 Screw Size, 1/2" OD, 0.192" ID, 3/16" Length[/h]
They were $6 for a set of 5. The interior diameter was a hair too small, so I opened them up just a little using a 13/64" bit (don't use a 7/32" bit - it's too big). One spacer seated perfectly, but one of my posts was a little mashed up and the spacer wouldn't quite fit over the end of it, so I had to sand around the end of the post a smidge to get the spacer to slide on easily. But once over the end of the post, it fit perfectly as well. Once that fidgeting was done, I was finished in a flash. It was easier than using the nylon spacer because the spacers are exactly the right height (3/16" instead of 1/4") and don't need to be ground down. After the fix, the rollers moved smoothly and my door was back in business, hopefully for the last time.

Hope this helps someone else make a better repair.

Best,
Shawn
I guess I must be really lucky! It must be 7.5 years since I did the repair, and (knock on wood) still holding up. 235K and still going strong! Bought it new when my last boy was born.... moved them all to college and back, one more to go! BEST VEHICLE EVER!

·
Registered
91 Posts
i just replaced passenger center roller on my 2000 ody with 192,000 on the clock. took me roughly 25-35 min. pop out tail light, open door all the way, remove two rear screws then the one up front. dont take off just yet. closed door then pop off part (so ya dont scratch paint) open about half way. i pulled (open) cable til it stops then clamped it with vice grips (not to tight) then did the same to (close) cable giving enough slack to remove roller.(i used needle nose vice grips) placed 2x4's with folded rags under door then removed cables from rollers. replaced roller i got from pic a part which i paid around $10 plus change. i did use soap stone to mark hinge before taking off. greased rollers (not too much cause will attract dirt) then hit the dash switch and watched it open and close without any problem. then reattacthed metal cover and tail light. good to go. hope this helps out. im sure replacing just the nylon wheels will work as well but i already had part. i have a passenger door actuator problem and passenger slinding door (pull to close then motor takes over) i'll be working on them next week or so. i'll remember to post pics thanks guy's
You would'nt have had to mark the door plate if you'd just removed the center pin of the rollers assy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have sold my '01 Ody. Hope the Sienna won't need these!
Found my old stash of McMaster 1/2" OD, 1/4" Length, #10 spacers
Available for ~my cost $7 for 2.....$10 for 4. Including Shipping...USA.
A perfect fit.
Happy New Year...Joe

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Has anyone come up with a similar repair for an 05?
Same deal for gen 3, I used the same part on my 07 that I put on my 00. Main difference is how the center cover comes off. There's a bunch of threads on it plus youtube has one from Eric the car guy and also South Main Auto. They replace the whole piece but the wheels are easier in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to 02honda02 for this great solution
Did exactly as posted
Found the parts in Lowes in Toronto Canada
Only difficultly I had was getting the washer of the post (at first it looked like it was all one piece due to the corrosion). Used as dremel with cutoff wheel to cut off half the washer, then used the side cutter to pull the 2nd half off

·
Registered
8 Posts
A while back I went out and bought the spacers and e-clips for this repair, then sold the Odyssey before getting around to doing it. I still have the parts. If anyone needs them, send me a PM and I'll happily send them to you for postage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem as all of you. Electric doors with erratic behavior, bare metal friction noises etc. Obviously, the first option was to replace the entire hinges for the 2 doors at a very high price and much more if I had the job done at a Honda dealership. Then I discovered this post and I thought why not?

Note that in Canada and especially in Quebec, almost 10 years after the original post, the rollers with the precise specifications are harder and harder to find in the trade. So I found and ordered the recommended nylon rollers on Amazon Florida, $ 20 CAN for 50 (yes I needed only 4 but like some others who did the repair before mentioned, the rollers can last less time and as they are difficult to find, I will never have to order again for the remaining vehicle's life)

I used to support the doors an handy-dandy jack to repair a puncture (the one provided in the Odyssey does very well by wedging the bottom of the door in the slot provided to fit under the rocker of the vehicle). It is simple, stable, it works perfectly and unlike a hydrolic jack, the door stay right in place and is not likely to slip at the slightest vibration during repair.

I used a dremmel to remove the old ring and I inserted the new rollers that fits perfectly in place. However, I did not bother to cut off the rollers to make them lower and install an e-clip on top as recommended, telling me that gravity would hold them in place anyway.

I did not put more than 30 minutes per door to do the work. It is especially important to mark where the hinges are screwed to ensure perfect alignment and be meticulous when reassembling. The first door worked beautifully the first time but for the second one, I had to better realign the hinge because the door refused to close completely about 3-4 inches from its goal and half reopened by emitting the characteristic chime sound when there's an obstacle in the door's passage.

Finally all this story to say that this repair works perfectly and is much, much less expensive. It remains to be seen how long the replacement rollers will last but again, at the cost they are and the time it takes to replace them, it is not a big issue.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hopefully they are still easy to find here in the states as I am planning on attempting this repair in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The rollers should still be available. I have a picture with the part number and dimensions here on my Ody website. Part number is just like what I found at Lowes, should be available at the other stores as well. Like Hondyssey, I didn't bother with the clips either. 1st repair on my '99 was about an hour since I was taking pictures. 2nd time on my 02 it was less than 15 minutes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
02 ODYSSEY
I don't know why I waited so long, but on the passenger side the shaft was flattened from rubbing, so I used a Doorman Part on that. I was unsure how long a nylon spacer would last for the drivers side, so I bought some 5mm x14mm x 5 mm bearings, and two 5/16 e-clips. I cut off the plastic part of the old roller. The round ring was a bit of trouble to remove. I put a dab of grease on the shaft and the bearing and e-clips fit perfectly.
Be sure and check the Stopper, Slide Door Rail (Upper) and see if it is worn or missing, Honda Part # 72557-S0X-A00

I have a set of 4 bearings with the e-clips for sale if anyone wants to go with metal bearings

161 - 174 of 174 Posts