Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any feedback yet on the paint condition of delivered 02 SS Ody's? Would there be any reason to think that this problem has been resolved with the new model year?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The one I saw here at Richmond Hill Honda last week still has that SS problem on the 2002. So we opted for a Fern Metallic (GG in the U.S.).

I'm not sure why this is happening. They can do it in their cars. Why not do it in their vans.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I picked up my 2002 SS EX the other day, and the paint job is excellent as well.

Thanks to this board, I wanted to make sure that I checked out the paint job on our new Ody. We arrived at the dealer around 11am on a bright sunny day, and I spent about 20 minutes going over the paint job specifically. I viewed it from every angle I could and it looked great.

I think the percentage of bad paint jobs is low, but you tend to hear more about the bad things. It would have been heartbreaking to go pick up our Ody and it not be everything we expected it to be.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Was at my local dealer over this past weekend and saw two 02 SS EX Odys. One looked beautiful but the other one was really bad. Heavy paint blotches and streaks on the hood.

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES Soon!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, now I'm really nervous! Our long-awaited SS EXL-RES has arrived. We went to see it on Saturday, but it hadn't been prepped yet -- the white plastic was still all over it.

My husband and I are both novices concerning automobiles. Please can someone tell me exactly what kind of paint problems I should look for before we take delivery? Are the blotches etc. obvious? Is the hood area the main problem area? And in the eventuality that we were to miss something, what could we expect from the dealer to correct it?

I would appreciate a quick response from anyone with information. We have to let the dealer know today if we are going to accept their offer on our trade-in (only $3000 for our 1997 Sentra -- blech!). If we don't accept today the van will be up for grabs.

------------------
Erika
'02 SS Ody EXL-RES on order

·
Registered
61 Posts
All that I can tell you is that I waited til I could check my SS paint in the sun. It has no blotches, just an even, consistant silver color. From previous posts here, those that have had bad SS went thru h... to get Honda to respond, let alone do anything. My suggestion would be to not accept the Ody if the paint didn't look good to you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mstaebo:
Ok, now I'm really nervous! Our long-awaited SS EXL-RES has arrived. We went to see it on Saturday, but it hadn't been prepped yet -- the white plastic was still all over it.

My husband and I are both novices concerning automobiles. Please can someone tell me exactly what kind of paint problems I should look for before we take delivery? Are the blotches etc. obvious? Is the hood area the main problem area? And in the eventuality that we were to miss something, what could we expect from the dealer to correct it?

I would appreciate a quick response from anyone with information. We have to let the dealer know today if we are going to accept their offer on our trade-in (only $3000 for our 1997 Sentra -- blech!). If we don't accept today the van will be up for grabs.

</font>
Here is a link to a few pictures of my 01 SS EX with problem paint.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/024447F064FFB24

For more info on the paint issue, refer to "Major Paint Problems" in the problems and concerns forum. The hood is the main area of concern. However, some have posted about blotchy areas on the sides and doors. Please keep in mind that this problem exists on a very small number of vans. I saw another 02 SS EX at a dealer this weekend and it looked absolutely perfect. So for the record, two of the last three 02s that I have seen looked great.

As far as what the dealer will do in the event of a problem it is hard to say. I suggest that you read some of the posts in the problems forum, talk to your dealer and decide from there.

Most importantly, inspect the van in outside light from several angles. Any streaks or blotches will be very obvious.

Good luck!

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES Soon!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm still "working" with Honda to see what they're going to do about my paint problems on my '01 SS EX. Currently, I'm waiting for someone there to call me back, though they have not been helpful or even speedy in returning calls since I've reported this to them.

If you see any kind of irregularity in the paint (splotches, streaks, etc.), I recommend NOT accepting the vehicle. Unfortunately, ours does not show up in direct sunlight, and it was a bright sunny day when we picked it up, so I didn't see it until I was drying the van the next evening around dusk and the sun was not shining on it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
mstaebo,

Just curious as to what your final decision was.

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES Soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We received delivery of our 2002 SS EX-L on 9/21 and our paint job is beautiful. I also read about the problem on this forum before we took delivery so we were extra careful to look over our new Ody. Thank goodness for this forum!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The paint job on our 2002 EX L Nav. was just fine. I took the time to look over the entire car when we picked it up because of the informaiton on this board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another bad SS paint job in San Antonio. Went to pick up my '02 SS LX today and had blotches on the hood. Not as bad as the one's I've seen pictures of on this page, but I'm now on the list for a MB. Another 6 weeks to wait. Thanks for all of the posts on this subject. If I hadn't known to pull it out into direct sunlight, I wouldn't have seen it at all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You almost have to wonder why they just dont pull the plug on this color is they are still having problems-even if there are intermittent.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, I wonder why it took me two months to catch the problem.
As I noticed today under the direct sunlight, the hood of my 2001 SS looks just cloudy - very similar and almost as bad as Tomhan's, especially from certain angles.
I'm going to go through all the related posts now and decide what to do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll have to thank Tom and all my friends here for your precious advices-- The paint for my 02 SS EXL-RES is beautiful.

Went to pick up my van yesterday and found one possible blotch on the lower part of the rear passenger door. Fortunately, it was removed after the dealer applied some wax and hand polished that area. Indeed, I probably would never notice it if not taking the advices from this forum. Yes, it's important to inspect the SS paint job from different angles and under different light conditions. (I moved the van several times to allow me to inspect it under different light conditions.) Let your dealer knows about all the spots you don't feel comfortable with, but don't jump into conclusion too fast-- Those might not be real paint blotches.

Good luck!

PS. I love the Quartz leather... It's so beautiful!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You got to love that 02 SS EXL-RES. Yes, the leather is beautiful. Rides like a dream, is quiet, and man is it powerful.

Ours had some junk on the hood outside the area where the shipping plastic is; I couldn't tell what it was, but it looked and felt like sap or something. Fortunately a non-abrasive polish took it off.

I'm slowly introducing my 3 year old to the RES. He knows it's there, but when I played a DVD for him he watched it and also kept looking out the windows. No big deal (whew!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up my 2002 SS EX last Friday. I did find one minor paint flaw in the back corner of the hood. Wife couldn't see it. But I found it in certain sunny conditions. I'm usually very picky. But this is a flaw that 99% of people will never see. I wouldn't of seen it if I didn't read about the SS problems on this website. I did accept this van. And I do not regret that decision. I made sure that the salesman and service manager seen it and recorded it for possible future action. I love this van more than I ever thought I would. It is absolutely awesome. There is another posting from a person that discovered he had this problem months after picking his van up. He said in short that he has decided to move on. That is what I've decided to do also, move on and enjoy life and my van. To each his own I guess.
Later, tfb

·
Registered
276 Posts
Picking up my SS EX this Saturday.

Please explain to me how to look for this paint problem when I go. If I do find something should I let them fix or not take delivery?

Thanks,
Steven

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too have picked up my 02 SS last Wednesday and eventhough I went thru a thorough inspection of the paint job under the sun as advised by odyclub members, I still noticed the paint job on the hood is slightly cloudy during the evening at about 7:00 p.m. I am hoping that this condition will slowly fade away in time. However, I am not that picky about paint job on the car and I must say this car is an absolute beauty to drive and it is soooo powerful.

One bad information the salesman gave me was related to the TCS. He described the amber light for the TCS as TCS being activated but in reality, it is the opposite. Amber light meant warning/caution and it sould mean TCS being turn off.

Tony the Tiger

1 - 20 of 24 Posts