Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove and install the front swaybar? I have an 02 EXL-RES on order, and was thinking of replacing the stock 22mm bar with the 01 24mm bar if it is not too hard to do.

Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Teague:
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove and install the front swaybar? I have an 02 EXL-RES on order, and was thinking of replacing the stock 22mm bar with the 01 24mm bar if it is not too hard to do.

Chris
</font>
Chris,

Your name looks familiar-so you hang out on any of the Volvo message boards?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not any Volvo message boards, but I am on about 3 Home Theater forums.
Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Teague:
Not any Volvo message boards, but I am on about 3 Home Theater forums.
Chris
</font>
Chris,

I guess I have you confused with someone else-since I am also an audio nut and vinyl collector, I might have seen you on one of the audio or HT forums-but I digress. I have been evaluating anti-sway bar and strut tower stiffener bars for my Volvo 850 Turbo, and there may be some crossover here. There is a company called IPD in Portland, OR that specializes in sway bars and other suspension components that may be interested in developing a sport sway bar package for the Ody. They have a large array of Volvo aftermarket accessories, including anti-sway bars, and they are one of the best and most reliable aftermarket vendors for that car make (their bars come with a lifetime warranty). I have to order some items from them (including a sway bar package for my 850), and I will make a point of asking them if they have anything in the works for the Odyssey. They already make sway bars for several US model trucks and vans, so if there is a market, they might bite. If you'd like to check them out, go to the following page:

http://www.ipdusa.com

·
Registered
564 Posts
X-Volvo owner here too, and long-time customer of IPD. I've just asked them about sway bars for the Ody. I'll post when I hear anything. So far it looks like they're only doing Domestic vehicles.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would expect it to be counter-productive to install a larger diameter front bar. You would increase the understeer (push) and the van would feel worse, in my opinion. What these vans need is a REAR anti-roll bar, which would sharpen the steering response and, surely increase driving pleasure.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I would expect it to be counter-productive to install a larger diameter front bar. You would increase the understeer (push) and the van would feel worse, in my opinion. What these vans need is a REAR anti-roll bar, which would sharpen the steering response and, surely increase driving pleasure</font>
That is certainly possible, but since this bar is what is on the 01, it might work out better than the 22mm 02 bar. On many stock vehicles, increasing the stiffness of the front bar does not increase understeer since it can keep the tires more vertical (because of the reduced body lean). What would be best is a larger front bar, with a rear bar, I do agree, but I was told there was no rear bar available yet. But there is a 24mm 01 bar, which may be a good starting point for an 02. I will be sure to post the results if I do this mod.
Chris

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
You would increase the understeer (push) and the van would feel worse, in my opinion. </font>
Jerry -

<s>Where do you come up with this? I've added or increased the diameter of the front sway bar on the last four cars I've owned, and they've ALL oversteered more than before the mod. Haven't yet heard of a car that will understeer more with a stiffer front bar. They dial in race cars the same way: Stiffer on the front = less push. And</s> I do agree that a rear bar would be great as well.

*** There, I fixed my post by simpliy subtracting 98% of the text

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
478 Posts
It is true, increasing the front roll stiffness will tend to increase understeer. This is probably not true in all cases-there are so many variables in suspension design and individual cars. And I think often the difference in understeer is only felt at or near the limits of adhesion, so the increased roll stiffness (front) will be beneficial for most driving situations by reducing body lean.
I'm not sure increasing the front roll bar from 22 to 24 would make enough difference to be worth the trouble. Adding a good rear bar would most likely help as would a good set of aftermarket struts/shocks.
Just my .02 of course

·
Registered
368 Posts
First mod I made to my 1995 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan was the IPD rear sway bar! Also have a front and rear sway bar set on my p1800S-made a huge difference. Have not installed them on my 1998 V70 T-5 however... Last time I checked, IPD did not have sway bars for the Odyssey.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Every rule of chassis dynamics has always alluded to an reducing "push" by stiffening REAR roll stiffness. You will notice that when the NASCAR guys are trying to balance their handling, they are adjusting the rear suspension. Even a set of Air Lifts with a little inflation make a pushing chassis feel better. Most folks worry that adding a rear anti-roll bar will cause too much oversteer, which means it reduces understeer. Done properly, the addition of a rear bar can achieve a nice neutral feel. I stand by my comments.........

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
OK, white flag.

I was being far too simplistic in my comments, I now realize. Suffice it to say that I'm a big fan of anti-sway bars - both in the front AND rear. I have never owned a car that did not have a rear bar (at least not after I was done with it), and I neglected to comment on the interplay between the front and rear suspension.

Bottom line: Darell wants a rear bar and a bigger front bar engineered for neutral handling in the Odyssey.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Amen, Dude, I admire your good taste. There's nothing like a nice handling vehicle.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here is the suspension set-up on my Accord:
Neuspeed Sport springs (1 3/4" lower)
Koni Sport adjustable struts/shocks
Neuspeed strut tower bar
Front AND rear Suspension Techniques sway bars.
The sway bars are a more recent mod. Yes, it made a big difference and my particular car is very neutral near the limits of adhesion. Part of that is attributable to the tires and weight distribution of the car etc. but I am very pleased with the improvement made by upgrading the sway bars (my car had front and rear bars stock).
>Just to clarify, I agree with the comments JerryO made on increasing rear roll stiffness relative to the front to reduce understeer/increase oversteer.
------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 10-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 10-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Chris, Dude! Have you gotten underneath and looked at that serpentine sway bar?! I have not checked Helm, but it looks like you would have to either drop the subframe or raise the engine, just to remove it!

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Chris, Dude! Have you gotten underneath and looked at that serpentine sway bar?! I have not checked Helm, but it looks like you would have to either drop the subframe or raise the engine, just to remove it!</font>
Actually, no. I don't have my Ody yet, it's on order. And that's the info I was looking for. I know some other front-wheel drive vehicles it is very difficult to remove the front sway bar. If it really is that hard, the 2mm probably is not worth the trouble. May need to wait until someone comes out with a rear bar. I take a look underneath when I get mine.
Chris

·
Registered
478 Posts
Chris-actually I meant to include the info about the difficulty in changing out my Accord front sway bar (the rear was easy). Obviously, the Ody and Accord are very different but I began to wish I had paid someone to change out the front-someone with a lift to work under the car. Had to remove parts of the exhaust system to get the sway bar out. It was a REAL pain! Not sure about the Ody, but it would be a consideration (as you point out) to gain 2mm diameter.

------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
>Just to clarify, I agree with the comments JerryO made on increasing rear roll stiffness relative to the front to reduce understeer/increase oversteer.</font>
Yes, yes and yes. If it were socially acceptable, I would delete (or at least severely edit) my second post in this thread. This was a classic case of engaging the the keyboard before the brain.

Please consider me chastised. As my pennance, I plan on finding out everything I can about aftermarket bars for this beast.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would be very surprised to find someone actually made a rear sway bar for the Ody, but good luck Darell!
Might have to settle for the H&R springs and a good set of tires for improved handling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts