Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mainly a lurker, you guys have helped me out more than ever!

In the last few months, we have been smelling gas inside the van when we drive, we have to rotate between cycling the interior air and the direct air as well as roll down windows to keep the smell out.

Recently on vacation, the CEL came on and we had the codes pulled by autozone and they said it was more than likely a loose gas cap. We tried that, to no avail.

Also, when we pump gas, the gas pumps stops abruptly, i know this is working as designed as the gas pump has a mechanism that works on the pressure principal, thus telling the pump to turn off.

but i think i have a minor leak in the tank, or line.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
What is the code?

Common leak areas are the gas cap, the filler neck and the area around the fuel pump on top of the tank.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The fuel can be leaking anywhere. You are going to have to inspect every inch of the fuel system. That means lines, hoses, tank and anywhere else. Gas leaks are dangerous especially if you or anyone around the van are smokers. If you aren't up to the task take it to a mechanic but make suree he has a stester to trace down the fumes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar interior gas smell years ago on my 2002 and it turned out to be a defective gas cap. I was convinced that there was a leak in the tank or fuel feeder/vent lines. I didn't think a leak of vapors at the gas cap could cause a strong smell inside the car, but it did. Replaced the cap and the problem has not reappeared.

If you haven't aleay tried it, replacing the cap is a relatvely cheap attempt at a fix.

Rich K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alright. It's my turn.

'02 Odyssey. 212k miles. Started getting a fuel smell in the cabin. The temp here (midwest) dropped into single digits yesterday (negative temps this morning) AND I had the van parked (while running and cold) on a decent incline, the van was leaning towards the driver's side (fuel tank filler side). I was on a construction site loading some doors into the back...just to give reason for parking while running on this incline... I would guess 10 degree to 15 degree incline. Air temp was near 10 degrees F/ While I was loading the van I had this overwhelming smell of fuel. I would say the tank was a little over 1/2 full. I thought it was a fluke. Drove it home. Fired it up this morning (parked on level ground) same thing... overwhelming fuel smell in the cabin. -7 degrees air temp this morning. After I drove it a bit the smell went away. I parked it, engine off for about 5 minutes. Fired it back up and didn't smell the fuel. Let it run for about 5 minutes. No fuel smell. Then i performed a walk around. I could smell no fuel at the exterior rear of the vehicle, or near the filler neck/cap area. I COULD smell fuel under the hood. It was fairly strong. I'll do another walk around in a couple hours. Confirm it's coming from the hood and see if I can tell which side. I have no check engine lights on. All lights are good. Is it possible i topped it off and got fuel somewhere I shouldn't or did running it up on the incline cause fuel to go somewhere it shouldn't? any other ideas?

Useless Odyssey fact: With the center seats still in (and passengers in them), rear seat folded down, you can fit 5 complete toilets and a pedestal sink in the back of an odyssey. Pic will be provided if someone wants to see it. lol.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If none of the above and you still smell it, how about a dye test? I have yet to finish my dye test for oil leak sontakke suggested but this is far more important and worthy. Since the leak will be fumes quickly, the residue will be hard to trace unless there is something to detect. No?

I had a loose gas cap once and the smell was strong. There was no cel might be because it was not loose enough? Or it could have been some drops near the cap that quickly evaporated.

Interdynamics 374CS - Flourescent Leak Detector Dye | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Oil and Fuel System UV Dye; One application of oil & fuel system UV leak detection dye; For use in engine oil, transmissions, power steering systems, and gas / diesel fuel systems;

·
Registered
10 Posts
there is a recall on certain model years for this. I had recall work done just last December for my 09. it is something to do with the fuel pump/gas tank. call your local dealer and give vin number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts