Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get rid of the Turanza LS-T which are becoming very noisy. Narrowed down to the Continental ProContact Ecoplus or the Hankook H727. Criteria:

-- Quiet, especially over varied surfaces. Important in the 2nd Gen Odysseys :D. The old LS-Ts roar over the Interstates.
-- Good fuel mileage
-- Traction in light snow, ice

I have the Hankook H727s in my Corolla and they are very quiet, but also soft in the handling department. Does anyone have experience with the ProContact Ecoplus in their Odyssey? If the Contis are as quiet as the H727 and handle a bit better, we have a winner....

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am seriously considering the Hankook H727 for my 2006.

I need the Snow/Ice performance occasionally but most of the winter here we have dry roads so dedicated winter tires don't fit the bill.

Cheaper tires replaced more often give me the performance advantage I need. Unfortunately the longer wearing tires don't benefit me because I have to replace them for winter conditions before they are worn out.

I like Consumer Search - Best Tires | Tire Reviews | Michelin, Goodyear Tires

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered the Hankook H727

I have a set of four Hankook Optimo H727 coming. The Hankooks have many compelling advantages and I have thoroughly enjoyed them on my Corolla, even with the softer handling of a T rated tire.

I'll update this thread when I have a few miles on them...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Followup -- Optimo H727

Optimo H727 and the 2nd gen Odyssey are a fine match. Tire noise, rumble, and harshness are all much reduced with these Hankooks. This Odyssey is not known to be quiet, so tire selection is critical. Driving is more pleasant now with the lower levels of roar (old LS-Ts were awful) and I am not so acutely aware of the type of pavement that I am driving on (Odyssey owners know what I mean!).

Traction is fine (and should be very good for the winter if the ratings are correct), but handling did take a downturn from the Bridgestones as to be expected from a T-rated tire with very soft sidewalls. The van seems to wander a bit more from the center straightline and dry cornering is mushy. However, this IS a minivan, so expectations need not be high.:rollingeyes:

Overall, the quiet comfort the Hankooks bring to the Odyssey is well worth it. Plus, easy on the budget -- I paid $101 a piece shipped.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The van seems to wander a bit more from the center straightline and dry cornering is mushy. However, this IS a minivan, so expectations need not be high.:rollingeyes:
Addendum: The tire installer did not inflate the tires to the proper 36psi...all four were at 30psi! That accounts for the mushy handling. Pumped them up to 38psi, just over the base recommendation. Now it is more stable and the wandering is gone. Very nice. Not quite as precise as sportier tires, but predictable.

The quietness and comfort over rougher roads is very welcome. The Odyssey with the reduced road noise is a fine vehicle indeed....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts