Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I own an '03 Ody with 140k. Bought it CPO from the local dealer (Zimbrick, Madison) with 72k. Usual maint has been done (T.B., tires, shocks, tune up etc, no trans though:D) I am diligent about changing all of the fluids.
I have a vibration issue that has started within the last 600 miles. As I speed up past 40+mph, the vibration is felt in the steering wheel and I feel it throughout the vehicle. As speed increases it gets worse. It is more noticable in the front pass seat as I can feel the vib's in the floorboards
I have new tires (5k miles and balanced recently), new brakes (F+R rotors,pads) and newer shocks. I rotated the tires recently with same result. Verified tire pressure. The front pass tire "looked' worn on the innerside of the tread vs the outer when I rotated the tires.
The vibration doesnt change when I use the brakes (No pulsing).
The calipers have not been changed nor has the harware for them- cailper mount and guide pins. The front wheel bearing assy is original and upper shock mount is original(Don't know how to accurately check these). I've checked the ball joints and tie rod ends for play. I can't tell if the motor mounts are bad or not (Pass side mount looked good when I replaced the TB and H2o pump)
Any advise. I'm kinda stumped
Thank You

·
Registered
40 Posts
First, be ultra sure your tires are balanced and your wheels are straight. Have you balanced them in the last 600 miles? Look for mud inside the rims too. Second, keep in mind that poor tire construction (even if they're new) can vibrate with inconsistent sidewall and tread stiffness. A road force type balancer can sometimes help.
Third, when absolutely sure it's not your tires, then look at the van.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would also doubt it's your brakes, wheel bearings, or suspension. It might be worth getting the alignment checked if you're noticing irregular tire wear though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the disc brake caliper pins on both front brake assy's. The vibration stopped. :D
The lower guide pin/bolt assy was dry and rusted. It was a bear to remove! I removed the caliper and bracket. Tilted it sideways to let all the rust checks fall out. The guide pin boot was still intact but it abviously had let H2O in and caused the pin to seize up
Cleaned up the bores and applied high temp antisieze to the bores.

On a different note- Looks like the motor mounts are bad- all 3 of them. Now that the wheel vibes are fixed, I noticed alot of noise from under the hood.:nothappy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts