Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer replaced front and rear brake pads and gave me the old ones which they said were ~ 90% worn. I looked at the old pads and was puzzled since I have no idea what they should look like. At first glance they look like a thick metal bracket with the brake pad of roughly the same thickness stuck on. So how could they be 90% worn I thought to myself. Then I noticed there were slanted/sloped shoulders near the surface of the brake pad and if the brake pad thickness is measured only within the shoulder region then it is only a mm or two. Here are some pictures. From the top it's really difficult to see the shoulders since the slope is very shallow:

I put red arrows indicating roughly the location of the shoulders.

From a 45 degree angle we can see the slanted/sloped shoulders better:

Finally looking edge-on the shoulders appear to be a darker color in the photo since they reflect much less light from the flash:

So, what are the remaining thickness of the old pads look like? I hope I wasn't cheated by the dealer.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You should have looked at the new pads. The pad material on them is about one half inch thick. Yours are definitely worn and it is better changing them at 90% than tear up the disks.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
As WW mentioned, you needed pads. Are they 90% worn, maybe not. But they are rusty and glazed and seen better days. Don't forget, it is harder on rotors as pads wear. New pads have more material to disperse heat, worn pads cause quicker rotor damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts