Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Odyssey has 54K miles on it. The dealer said the brake pads are 85% worn and suggested replacing the pads and resurfacing the rotors. Two questions:
1. Is it necessary to change the pads now or is it OK to wait until I hear the pad wear warning sound?
2. Is it normal that the rotors need resurfacing when changing the pads?
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nothing wrong with waiting until the squeal unless you are going to be doing some towing or maybe mountainous driving. Totally up to you.

Resurfacing...as long as all they are doing is taking off the glaze from the previous set of pads it isn't a bad idea. It doesn't hurt to get the glaze off the rotors so that the new pads bed in correctly, but you don't want them turning them down and taking material off the disc unless they are warped. I hand sand the rotors to take off the glaze. That's all that is needed as far as resurfacing is concerned.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Waiting for the squel is ok IF the pad with the scraper is on the fastest wearing pad. Most of the time I have seen the other pad tearing up the rotor before the noise. Pads on the Odyssey are so easy to change there is no reason to wait and if the brakes are srill smooth there is no reason to touch the rotors. Just drop the pads in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2003 Odyssey has 54K miles on it. ...
WOW...how do you have so little on it?

lol.

My buddy did my four rotors and break pads the other day. Original Rear Rotors AFAIK., Front...not so sure.

>200K Kms.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
...It doesn't hurt to get the glaze off the rotors so that the new pads bed in correctly, but you don't want them turning them down and taking material off the disc unless they are warped. I hand sand the rotors to take off the glaze. That's all that is needed as far as resurfacing is concerned.
You rock, stangbat, thank you for this timely information. I read your post about a week before I did the brake job on my wife's 2002 EX:

Almost 102,000 miles on OEM pads

I was about to bring all four rotors into the local alignment place for resurfacing, then decided to try your method of hand sanding the rotors to prep them prior to installing and bedding the new pads. Your procedure worked like a champ. Brake pedal feel is improved, the car hauls down to a stop very quickly, and there is no juddering during stops of any sort. I will surely do this again on my 2003 EX, which is getting close to service limits on its pads.

OF

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I would not cut the rotors, get new ones. I just put my 3rd set of brakes on my 04 with 47K on it.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
willy, tell your wife to stop driving with one foot on the gas & the other on the brake. :D

OF

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I'm thinking so, as far as I know mine are original. You'll have to ride with her sometime and watch the feet without letting on :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts