Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my ody to simply drive.Green key light appears on dash. Installed starter and ignition lock cylinder( problem initially was that key wouldn't turn in ignition) still seeing green key light flashing. Wanna put different ignition switch on but won't that affect the chip and ECU and whole electrical component here?

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Installed starter and ignition lock cylinder
When you replaced the lock cylinder, did you use the key that came with that new lock? If so, the computer won't recognize the new key, indicated by the flashing green light.

The PCM needs to be programmed by an auto locksmith or a dealer.

That won't stop the engine from cranking though. Maybe the ignition switch is bad?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
When I fixed my key won't turn problem, I removed the lock and found the offending wafers and removed them.
You can get new ones (they have numbers on them) if you wish.
You can use the old key and not change anything else.
There are several youtube vids on doing that.
If you change the ignition lock assembly:
Some people just tape the old key transducer onto the new key so that the vehicle recognizes it and the Ody will start.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I paid a locksmith $175 bucks to program the new keys:(. And as soon as he left the d for drive kept flashing as well as the TCS light and so now my van drives( rough) but I'm looking at possible tranny problems. Go figure. I tried taping transponder by the immobilizer but couldn't get new key to work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you don't get flashing "Key" and engine able to run (even it runs rough), then the immobilizer works. The key is recognize/valid. This is not the problem area anymore.

Flashing "D" means transmission area issue (Honda/Acura's design for this warning). If you never replace the transmission oil for last 7 yr, then do that first. If still flashing, then remove the transmission solenoid, and clean it with gasoline, brake cleaner, WD40, kerosene, any general oil cleaner.

All 3 of my 15 yr old in the past gave 3 flashing D, and resolved by doing above 2.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I
If you don't get flashing "Key" and engine able to run (even it runs rough), then the immobilizer works. The key is recognize/valid. This is not the problem area anymore.

Flashing "D" means transmission area issue (Honda/Acura's design for this warning). If you never replace the transmission oil for last 7 yr, then do that first. If still flashing, then remove the transmission solenoid, and clean it with gasoline, brake cleaner, WD40, kerosene, any general oil cleaner.

All 3 of my 15 yr old in the past gave 3 flashing D, and resolved by doing above 2.
Will definitely do asap. Like today. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you mean the oil or transmission fluid? And drain all of it first? (Yes I'm a woman and yes a blonde so you gotta break it down for me, lol)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Did you mean the oil or transmission fluid?
Flashing "D" means transmission area issue (Honda/Acura's design for this warning). If you never replace the transmission oil for last 7 yr, then do that first.
Drain and fill transmission fluid. Plenty of threads and u-toob videos on how to do this. Only a portion drains out- usually just under 4 quarts. So if the fluid comes out dark, consider a second (and maybe third) drain and fill after driving it and going through all the gears and letting torque converter lock up on highway drive. Many will drain/fill over the weekend and do the next drain/fill on the next weekend. (Or first drain/fill on Saturday, drive it and 2nd on Sunday. Then 3rd next weekend!) :giggle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts