Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I noticed the "D" on my 03 Odyssey started blinking.. about 4 times a second, evenly spaced

I had the transmission recall update done 3years ago. It has about 88000 miles on it.

What are my options? Is this car driveable with flashing D ?

I will take it to a dealer but I do not have too many maintenance records. I have always taken the Odyssey to a local shop and they probably can pull the records if necessary

Regular oil changes, transmission oil replaced at 77K miles

·
Registered
755 Posts
is the tranny slipping? well in either case, i would change out

the ATF oils out first and see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just had that happen on our '04 in the last few weeks. Noticed that the light would start blinking when the van shifted into fourth gear, but otherwise seemed to be running fine. Ordered the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids. While waiting for them to get here, cleaned off the connections. Days of driving the van and no more blinking light. Then while on a trip over the holidays, the tranny completely failed. We ended up leaving the van to get the transmission rebuilt and renting a vehicle to get us the rest of the way to our destination. Got the van back on our way home and all appears well. Cost us $2400. Search on here for input regarding the light. If the tranny needs to be replaced/rebuilt, check for info on Jasper and Gator transmissions. We were in a bad way in our situation so I didn't have much opportunity to check prior. FYI - we had about 210K on the tranny before it failed, which seems better than a number have done.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
210K miles? wow!!!!!

The blinking D stopped blinking.. I am being extremely careful now with the accelerator pedal.. not stressing the tranny in any way..

I know if I floor the gas, it might very well start to blink again

I am not sure about Solenoid and its relationshp to tranny failure
guess I will do a search and find out.

At 88K, the van has served me well.. but I bought this van on the reputation of Honda which meant it should last for atleast 200K+ miles without tranny issues.. Tranny and the Engine is the last one that should fail.. Not the first.

This I am sure will be my very last Honda I ever purchase. My other car is a Honda Accord.. We are a 100% Honda family, and in a few years will completely abandon this brand for something more reliable.. Ford.

The only thing that is preventing us from dumping our cars is financial.. Washington Taxes among others.. its 10% on the purchase price of a car.

I am truly done with Honda.. I had over a dozen Hondas in the past 25years.. By the time the idiots at Honda realize their mistake, I will be long gone.. never ever to come back to this brand again. I am thinking in my lifetime I would have influenced the purchase of about 30 cars.. at $3K profit, thats about $100K they lost, not counting goodwill dumped in the drain

How many of us out there? no one knows.. but Honda will know, in 10years

·
Registered
151 Posts
We've owned a lot a Honda's. In my 30+ years of driving, this has been, by far, the most costliest repair I've ever encountered. It happened at 210K miles. I'm OK with that (although I wish it would have occurred closer to home).
There were no CEL lights initially. Just the blinking D light. Autozone couldn't pull a code. I noted that it was happening when the van shifted into fourth. After pulling the cables off the solenoids (behind the front drivers wheel) and cleaning them up, the blinking went away.
When the tranny went, then I got CEL and TCS lights and a number of codes were pulled at the shop. Hope you have better luck and find the information you need.

·
Registered
255 Posts
rman said:
210K miles? wow!!!!!

The blinking D stopped blinking.. I am being extremely careful now with the accelerator pedal.. not stressing the tranny in any way..

I know if I floor the gas, it might very well start to blink again

I am not sure about Solenoid and its relationshp to tranny failure
guess I will do a search and find out.

At 88K, the van has served me well.. but I bought this van on the reputation of Honda which meant it should last for atleast 200K+ miles without tranny issues.. Tranny and the Engine is the last one that should fail.. Not the first.

This I am sure will be my very last Honda I ever purchase. My other car is a Honda Accord.. We are a 100% Honda family, and in a few years will completely abandon this brand for something more reliable.. Ford.

The only thing that is preventing us from dumping our cars is financial.. Washington Taxes among others.. its 10% on the purchase price of a car.

I am truly done with Honda.. I had over a dozen Hondas in the past 25years.. By the time the idiots at Honda realize their mistake, I will be long gone.. never ever to come back to this brand again. I am thinking in my lifetime I would have influenced the purchase of about 30 cars.. at $3K profit, thats about $100K they lost, not counting goodwill dumped in the drain

How many of us out there? no one knows.. but Honda will know, in 10years
A blinking "D" doesn't necessarily mean you need a new tranny. It does mean that something is wrong, however. We had a blinking "D" last year. There was no other symptoms. I took it to the dealer, they pulled the code and said one of the shift sensors (I forget what they called the part) was bad. They charged me $200 for a $50 part that takes a few mins to change. Since then, the shifting is a bit smoother and no blinking "D" in 8 months.

EDIT: Read this thread: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32510&highlight=4th+gear+pressure

scroll down until you see a post by joshos

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blinking D appears to have miraculously gone away.. I have been driving this for about 2K miles now and no sign of the blinking D

very strange.. not sure if/when it would return back

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The blinking D appears to have miraculously gone away.. I have been driving this for about 2K miles now and no sign of the blinking D

very strange.. not sure if/when it would return back
Sorry to say that the blinking light started re-appearing back again periodically.

So, I took the car to the Big-O-Tire in the neighborhood, for oil chance and transmission drain and fill.

While the guy was doing it, I talked to the owner and showed him this thread and also the pictures of the sensor.. i told him I will pay for the labor if one of the workers can access the sensor and pull it out, clean it up and place it back in.

He said, thats ok and asked the worker to go ahead and do it

Worker, looked at the picture and instructions from one of the earlier posts and took all of 10minutes to reach the sensor valve. Using a tool, he unscrewed it took it inside the shop and blew it clean with an air pressure hose.. then screwed it back in its location and reassembled the plastic air deflectors in the wheel welll..

it took all of 15minutes to do this..

I had the transmission oil also replaced with the latest Honda trans oil

Cost: $20 for the labor of cleaning the sensor valve and another $20 for the transmission drain and fill.. [i got my own parts and fluids] and another $15 for the oil change

I havent seen the flashing D after this.. I will keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am having another problem with the Odyssey though. Recently, I noticed the oil light came on. after checking the oil level, I realized it was too low. I had to fill in nearly 3 quarts to bring it back to the top line on the dip stick.

I asked the mechanic to check for oil leaks and he noticed the bottom of the transmission housing was wet.

He couldnt spot the source of the leak though. Any ideas where to look for? what to do to fix this problem

2003 Odyssey 95100 miles

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Clean all the oil off and then regularly LOOK at the underneath of the van. Check ALL fluid levels at least once a week whether you have a problem or not.
Trying to fix any transmission or engine problem without first reading out the codes is a waste of time and money.........

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No blinking light since I had changed the transmission fluid to the latest one - Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-DW-1 that I bought at the dealership. Before this trans fluid change, I had the original fluid replaced at Big-O-Tire by the transfluid (I didnt ask for what brand they used) but that may have been a mistake. I dont know what the root fix was but in summary I was able to get rid of the flashing D by the following -
Clean the transmission sensor
replace transmission fluid with genuine Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-DW-1
Total cost $70.

I hope others can benefit from my experience. if I had gone to the dealership and asked them to find the root cause, I am willing to bet money, that they would have asked me to replace the transmission

How many of Ody owners have been duped by dealerships this way, no one knows. But it could be a significant number.

Sorry to say that the blinking light started re-appearing back again periodically.

So, I took the car to the Big-O-Tire in the neighborhood, for oil chance and transmission drain and fill.

While the guy was doing it, I talked to the owner and showed him this thread and also the pictures of the sensor.. i told him I will pay for the labor if one of the workers can access the sensor and pull it out, clean it up and place it back in.

He said, thats ok and asked the worker to go ahead and do it

Worker, looked at the picture and instructions from one of the earlier posts and took all of 10minutes to reach the sensor valve. Using a tool, he unscrewed it took it inside the shop and blew it clean with an air pressure hose.. then screwed it back in its location and reassembled the plastic air deflectors in the wheel welll..

it took all of 15minutes to do this..

I had the transmission oil also replaced with the latest Honda trans oil

Cost: $20 for the labor of cleaning the sensor valve and another $20 for the transmission drain and fill.. [i got my own parts and fluids] and another $15 for the oil change

I havent seen the flashing D after this.. I will keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No blinking light since I had changed the transmission fluid to the latest one - Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-DW-1 that I bought at the dealership. Before this trans fluid change, I had the original fluid replaced at Big-O-Tire by the transfluid (I didnt ask for what brand they used) but that may have been a mistake. I dont know what the root fix was but in summary I was able to get rid of the flashing D by the following -
Clean the transmission sensor
replace transmission fluid with genuine Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-DW-1
Total cost $70.

I hope others can benefit from my experience. if I had gone to the dealership and asked them to find the root cause, I am willing to bet money, that they would have asked me to replace the transmission

How many of Ody owners have been duped by dealerships this way, no one knows. But it could be a significant number.
At the very least the dealer would have replaced the sensor and set you back $300 like they did to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I get the blinking D light. I shut off the van and restart... It goes away (if you are fast enough you can do it with the engine in gear and still keep it running - be very careful... cause if the engine dies you need to shift into N and restart while rolling.) Clean the tube/solenoid screens and flush oil if it occurs a lot of times. That will buy you a lot of time. Don't forget to install a magnefine in line filter too. Basically the non-serviceable transmission filter is full of crap and sending it out slowly clogging your screens. Worst case senario is your clutch pack is metal to metal and you will need a rebuild/replacement of your transmission.

·
Registered
58 Posts
rman,

Which solenoid did he clean and was the screen clogged? There is one accessible from the top where you have to remove the battery to get to it. This is clutch pressure control solenoid A-B. Then there is one accessible from the bottom where you remove the plastic splash shields. This one is clutch pressure control solenoid C.

I just wanted to clarify what you had done since you had success. I cleaned both of mine last weekend and A-B was clean but C was dirty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Odyssey. I get the blinking D every now and then. Nothing has ever happened. Occasionally the engine light and TCS light come on, but again, no problems with the vehicle. I was told the engine light/TCS light coming on is a sensor issue. I was quoted something like $170 for the part and miraculously, the lights went off.

Sometimes when I'm listening to a CD and press the volume control (up) on the steering wheel, it changes the track instead and if I press the volume down button, the volume goes up.

Nothing leaks. Tranny doesn't slip. 116.5K miles.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Sometimes when I'm listening to a CD and press the volume control (up) on the steering wheel, it changes the track instead and if I press the volume down button, the volume goes up.
Check out this TSB for more info on the cable reel failure. CAUTION: SRS system components in this area and can be dangerous if tampered with.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts