Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own an 03 Odyssey, just turned 100K and the transmission has just started to slip, usually between 2nd-3rd gear, and only after the car has been on the road for 30+ miles. It otherwise drives fine. The car hasn't thrown a code, nor is the D light flashing.

Planning a trip from Ohio to Iowa in about 10 days. My mechanic (not the Honda dealer shop, but an independent shop-owner) says he can put a cooler on, but it will just "prolong the inevitable."

Should I bite the bullet now and get a new transmission before this trip? Have read a couple of positive posts here about Gator rebuilt transmissions...is this the way to go? Or would putting the cooler on the existing transmission likely get me through this trip safely, when afterwards I could reassess my options? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would not do anything unless you are sure it is failing. My 04 turned 100k recently and I keep thinking the transmission might give out, but that is mostly because I have read so much on this forum. Our van is still running great. Again, I would be very sure it is failing before I replaced it. One suggestion might be a rental car for the trip for reliability and to delay possibly replacing the Ody transmission prematurely. Good luck. Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do a 3x Drain/Fill then install the cooler

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update and a couple questions. I had had the transmission fluid flushed and filled prior to my initial post, and have since had the cooler installed. I put about 100 miles on the van yesterday so it got nice and warm. With the cooler installed, should I have noticed a difference in the 2-3 slipping? Because I didn't. About the only time I don't get the slip between 2nd and 3rd gear is when I really ease through that shift. If I accelerate hard (> 2500 rpm at the time of the shift), then 9 times out of 10 it slips....not bad, but noticeable. To be expected, or not? BTW, when the van is first driven in the morning, the transmission works very smoothly, with no slipping.

Also, FWIW I was in the car when my mechanic test drove with me (before the cooler was put on). He felt the slip a couple of times, but said that it felt to him that it still had quite a bit of life left in it, especially if I "baby it." Have others had this experience of "babying" the transmission (through easier acceleration, etc.), and if so, has it helped?

I'm leaning toward taking this upcoming trip with the cooler installed and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You might look at or have checked the third clutch fluid pressure switch (Corrects hydraulic pressure application timing) and the A B C control solonoid valves. I beleave there is a thread on cleaning them.

Flares on 2-3 upshift or downshift
1 shaft solonoid valve C
2 Pressure control solonoid valves A and B
3 3rd clutch fluid pressure switch
4 CPC valve B defective
5 Shift valve C defective
6 2nd and/or 3rd accumulator defective
plus several other conditions.

Test procedures can be found in the OEM service manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts