Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Monro for oil change and heard I need to replace the serpentine belt. They quoted $135.
after searching internet, I found out that the belt change costs normally ~$70 so went to a Lubeshop near my house. they told me there are two belts (not timing belt), upper one looks ok but lower one needs to be replaced.
But they told me they do not have right tools for the work and told me to other mechanic shop. I thought 2003 odyssey has one belt?
Do I have to go back to Monro to pay $130? or go to other shops?

thanks for replies in advance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
there are 2 serpentine belts. One runs the AC compressor and alternator and has a spring loaded tensioner. The other is a little 4-rib belt that runs the power steering pump. This one is manually tensioned and runs around the motor mount. To replace it, you have to support the engine w/ a floorjack or other means, and remove the motor mount. Neither takes special tools to replace.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Their quote doesn't sound too far off base, with most shop labor rates being around $100 (+/-) an hour and the cost of the one belt being around $40 or so.

Typically both of the accessory drive belts are changed during the 105K major service interal (timing belt/water pump/rollers/tensioners/etc) as they have to be removed anyways in order to get the timing belt cover off.

Like the above poster already said, it doesn't take special tools, so if you have some mechanical ability I wouldn't be afraid to do it yourself. Any competent independent shop can do it as well, and you may well want to change both belts at the same time since that will save you labor. Also have them check the tensioner rollers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts