Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess its my turn for tranny failure. After 145,000 on the clock the tranny in my 2003 started slipping this past weekend. I kept up with all the regular maintenance as recommended by my dealer, but to no avail. I called them just a while ago, and told them up front that I expected some kind of goodwill service out of Honda. Needless to say, she went on about needing to "properly diagnose" it, and that it would be next week until the head service advisor could call Honda, as he is on vacation. It sounds as if I am already getting excuses from them. If anyone has any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Will.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Is the CEL light on? Or is the D light flashing? If not, the dealer can't do anything despite the slipping that's happening. They need the tranny to throw a code before they can open a case with Honda. Try another dealer if you don't trust this one. Through it all, keep on their good side as they are your only conduit to goodwill from Honda.

Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Has anyone received "goodwill" from Honda with the mileage the author of this post states above?

When I hit that mileage I was told by my local Honda dealer that I was beyond the mileage that Honda would consider goodwill for. This is when I said goodbye Z-1 and hello Amsoil Uni ATF because I figured what the heck do I have to lose. Now I am second guessing my choice on doing this especially if Honda really does offer "goodwill" for Odys with this high of mileage on the original tranny.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I think the 2002-2004 Odysseys will not be receiving much in the way of goodwill assistance anymore. I do believe the 1999-2001 Odysseys would receive goodwill as they had an official Extended Warranty.

I my case, my take on it as long as I use Z-1 every 3rd oil change, take to the dealer (who I believe would vouch for me for goodwill) for service - I stand a chance of receiving a "deal" from Honda on a reman tranny. I also only have 63,000 miles and the Extended Warranty restriction on mileage is 109,000.

·
Registered
524 Posts
my take on it as long as I use Z-1 every 3rd oil change, take to the dealer (who I believe would vouch for me for goodwill) for service - I stand a chance of receiving a "deal" from Honda on a reman tranny. I also only have 63,000 miles and the Extended Warranty restriction on mileage is 109,000.
I hope you get lucky. There is a 93 month time limit for the the honda transmission settlement. The settlement covers

"Honda Accord 2000-2001

Honda Odyssey 1999-2001

Honda Prelude 2000-2001

Acura 3.2 CL 2001-2002

Acura 3.2 TL 1999-2002

Certain Acura 3.2
CL & TL * 2003 "

and compared to the previous extended transmission warranty,

"93 months from date of initial purchase or lease of the vehicle (an additional 9 months) or 109,000 miles in service (an additional 9,000 miles)"

93 months would mean 7.75 years which would be a stretch for a 2001.

Used Z1 every 10K miles exclusively in my 2002 and it still failed near 70K miles. Yes, the 2002 has a different transmission from 2001 but similar to 2003. Neither is durable. Owning my Odyssey has been high cost with many problems compared to my other old cars.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I guess I got lucky on this van too as it has been another reliable vehicle for me.

I am aware of the time constraints of the Ext Warranty. Even given the fact that the 7 years 9 months has elapsed, I still feel that Honda would do something for me through my dealer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
davedrivesody said:
Is the CEL light on? ....... They need the tranny to throw a code before they can open a case with Honda.
^^^ Yes.

My 2nd tranny wasn't slipping but I got a pending code (I think that's what they're called) and it wouldn't shift properly. No CEL light but I could see a code on my scan tool. They still wouldn't look at it.

Luckily (thanks for this forum) I found that it was just a sensor I could replace myself.

Whew!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts