Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2004 Ody w/ 99,800 miles. I purchased it used w/ 88,000 miles on it. I was paranoid about the transmission after reading this forum but I bought the van anyways. At 95,000 miles I had the blinking 'D' indicator light. It went off by itself after a couple of weeks. Two weeks ago I replaced the canister transmission filter and installed a Magnefine aftermarket transmission filter on the cooler return line. I replaced all of the fluid using the cooler return flushing method. Instead of using Honda Z1 ATF, I used Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc 75,000. Yesterday, I noticed a burning smell from the air vents. Today I jacked it up and noticed a light spray of fluid coating the underside of the vehicle, with no fluid found in front of the trans mission housing. It almost appears to be coming from the seam on the underside of the transmission housing. Does anyone know if this could be caused by not using Z1?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not leaking from Magnefine installation, nor the fill or drain bolts, nor the filter locations. The fluid is not coming from higher than the very bottom of the metal housing of the ATF. Could it be leaking through the metal casting? The casting in this area looks like it is crackled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I originally overfilled it, it was driven for a day and a half. After rechecking the level, I removed 2 quarts :D to bring it down to the correct level. It was fine after that though. Its still showing between the low and high marks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:( - Wife fessed up. She remembers running over something in the grass while parking the van at a model airplane show on Saturday. I rechecked and sure enough, there is a scrape running from the front plastic guard, across the frame and across the bottom of the transmission case. I guess there is a hairline crack now. I will start a thread to see if anyone has successfully JB-Welded their tranny case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts