Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the symptoms:

* Cranks but doesn't turn over
* All auxiliaries work: lights, power doors, etc...
* cannot get van out of park, even after turning key forward half a turn, the shifter is stuck in park
* I don't think this is a key chip issue as there's NO blinking green key in instrument panel

The van was fine 2 days ago, parked it in the garage, then we started having the problem yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
You may have a failed Brake Pedal Position Switch. The van will not shift or start if this switch is failed. It is a plunger-type switch connected to the brake pedal. Search on "brake pedal switch" for more info on replacing...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Press on the brake pedal and if you do not have the brake light in the back, then the switch has failed.

I was not aware that when the switch fails, van will refuse to start.

- Vikas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE: I called the dealer and the service guy listened to me crank it. He said the battery sounded good. I was able to pop the tab on top of the steering column, press in with my key, to get the van into neutral.

But I still can't get it to turn over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds electrical. Check the fuel pump fuse and relay. It could also be a clogged fuel filter or broken fuel pump.

Check other fuses, battery connections and engine ground as well.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Do you have more than one key? Try it.

My 98 Accord suddenly did the same thing. Turned over, but no ignition. The immobilizer chip in the key actually stopped working. I tried the other key, and the car started right up.

Hoping it is that simple.

OF

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
sontakke said:

- Vikas
I am not 100% sure about this now. I will have to try tonite to start without foot on brake pedal.

A failed Brake Pedal Position Switch will not allow you to shift out of Park.

A cause for a no start is a failed PGM-FI Main Relay, located under the driver's side dash.

If you get another key made it will have to be programmed by Honda $$$ in order to start your van.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
sontakke said:

- Vikas
You can start van without foot on brake pedal - I checked last night.

Which fuse was it that was causing the no start?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts