Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, This is my first post so please let me know if Ive done anything wrong.
My ody got its catalytic converter cut out in philadelphia a few months ago, sucked but dealt with it, replaced everything and the o2 sensor
After that, my temp gauge stopped updating while I was driving, it would only read an accurate value after Id restart the car, meaning I could drive an hour after my initial start and it would stay on zero, then restart it and it would be right in the middle where it should be. I have no reason not to trust it as Im not experiencing anything that would make me think it was overheating. Out of frustration, I replaced the connector for the ECT today and now am getting po118. I do have background in electronics. It was later so im gonna meter everything up tomorrow, but regardless of the po118, i need to know whats wrong

So far, I have done
Coolant flush
Thermostat change twice
ECT sensor twice
High speed fan sensor twice

Im getting desperate as this is my only vehicle right now and im too attached to junk it and buy something new
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
964 Posts
Solve 118 first, it likely will also clear 128.

See linked P0118, P0128 steps from my '02 FSM. I'm guessing unchanged for '04, but '02 was different from 99-01.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solve 118 first, it likely will also clear 128.

See linked P0118, P0128 steps from my '02 FSM. I'm guessing unchanged for '04, but '02 was different from 99-01.
118 was a temporary problem from a bad replacement part, I fixed that this morning, Also confirmed wiring of the ETC harness and sensor, still having the problem with the gauge not updating until a restart. I dont know if the PCM is responsible because of how the problem presents itself, Its not even what id consider to be an intermittent problem as it always works under the corresponding condition (engine restart, where guage will read correct temp and not update any further). Could the pcm have a bad clock for device polling? As far as I new, the gas and temp gauge ran off of the same clock for updates and would poll at the same rate (not having the issue for the gas gauge). Also, the system responds normally for the temp with the exception of the gauge

·
Registered
964 Posts
Possible the problem is within the gauge. Have you measured the output to the gauge under varying conditions. or tried unplugging at the gauge? (Not sure how deeply buried within dash.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possible the problem is within the gauge. Have you measured the output to the gauge under varying conditions. or tried unplugging at the gauge? (Not sure how deeply buried within dash.)
no but that's a good idea, will be next on my things to try

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
having trouble finding the leads, but did some further searching on the forum and havent found anything about this specific problem. Its making me crazy as i can find nothing on this problem

**edit
im picking up a scangauge soon so I can actually see what the ecu sees the temp at.
Im gonna continue my updates here so maybe if someone stumbles along this at least its documented

1 - 6 of 6 Posts