Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a wrecked 2004 Odyssey with a fairly light front impact. The fenders were unscathed but I had to replace the radiator support, bumper, radiator, and hood. Only the driver's wheel airbag deployed and I have located an 02-04 SRS airbag for the driver. Honda says the SRS module and both front impact sensors (located on the inner fenders) need replaced. I have seen some companies will reset the SRS module for about $70-$80 with shipping. Do I really need to replace/reset the SRS module and replace the front impact sensors? What is the cheapest way to get it working properly? Will the SRS code tell me if only one sensor is bad? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
First you need the OEM service manual for correct procedures. Second it is illegal to install a used airbag. It is also illegal for junk yards to sell used airbags. I would definately replace the impact sensers. I don't know about the SRS module but it is conceivable that it will not allow reset after an impact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it legal from state to state? In Kansas, you can buy/install used airbags. I just got a handful of quotes from salvage yards. They are also all over eBay. Just wondering...thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
Absolutely nothing illegal about buying, selling, or installing used airbags in WA state, I bought some for another car of mine from a junkyard, had to go through state patrol inspection too and I had to show them the receipts. I saved hundreds of dollars by buying both front airbags used.

On the Airbag module, I know that all GM ones are one-time-use-only items, and have to be procured new and then programmed by the dealer. Not sure on Honda's procedure though.

Replacing the impact sensor is optional IMO - it is an accelerometer and should not have sustained any damage - I would only replace it if it was physically damaged by the accident which in your case I highly doubt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts