Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L with about 147,000 miles on it. We were driving one day and the TCS and Check Engine Light came on. Then the Transmission started acting weird (downshifting, not wanting to shift).

We took it to the dealership.

Found Multiple Codes. Codes P0740 TC Failure. P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio. Also 61-1 Batt. Voltage. 34-2 Throttle Position Voltage 31-2 Engien Retard Signal.
Question: Are all those codes related to the transmission problem?

Multiple codes pertaining to Transmission Malfunction. Checked Trasn Fluid and Condition. Fluid is full but Burnt. Determined Transmission Malfunction would recommend Trans Replacement EST $4,000 plus tax.
I called a local Transmission shop and they said they could do a transmission rebuild for around $1,800.

Question: What is the difference? Is the dealer giving me a brand new transmission?

Question: If it were your van, what questions would you be asking, and what would you do?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Check out Jasper and Gator transmissions as well.

Don't let the ATF get burnt. Do the drain and fill method that is described in almost every post here concerning the 1999-2004 Odyssey transmissions.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
The dealer supplies a rebuilt as well. They charge more because of the sign over the door. As NDNV suggested, call Jasper or Gator. Save the local rebuilder as your last option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts