Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just bought my first Odyssey off of EBay for what I think was a great deal. It has 151,000, electric everything, DVD with just some minor cosmetic scratches. It got it for $3,100 out the door. It was from a dealer that told the previous owners it needed a new tranny so they ended up trading it in for a new van. The only issue is that is throws the P1740 code for the 3/4 pressure switch. I picked it up the other day and it drives great, no tranny issues and the check engine light isn't on.

My question is this, should I go ahead and replace the switch since it has the P1740 code or wait? My guess is that I should change it now so there are no issues in the future. I am also going to change the tranny fluid so I could do all that for under $100.

Also, is there anything else I should check? I am completely amazed by how nice the van is for how little I got it for, it was a "maintenance special" and after some quick research on this forum, I figured the price was definitely worth it. I may try to resell to make a good profit and buy a newer van.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Sorry to break it to you but you're going to need tranny work done. The light's going to be back and even after you replace the switch, eventually in a few months the tranny is going to puke based on hundereds if not thousands of posts on here. So, pack $2.5K or more for a tranny rebuild.

BTW. Welcome to the odyclub.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Has the "timing belt/water pump/tensioner" service been done? That can be another $$ biggie.
Motor mounts seem to go bad alot on these too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Replacing the 4th clutch pressure switch if you have P1740 is a good idea, so is changing the ATF. If you don't have any other codes and it shifts fine then you are otherwise good for now. Your tranny doesn't have an external filter so there's nothing to do there. Sounds like you got a good deal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good Deal!

I'd change both the pressure switches. since its probably contaminated anyway. change the ATF to a Synthetic one with less "friction Modifiers" , add coolers and a magnefine filter. should make it last at least 10k mi or so.

Good Luck!
CK

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good Deal!

I'd change both the pressure switches. since its probably contaminated anyway. change the ATF to a Synthetic one with less "friction Modifiers" , add coolers and a magnefine filter. should make it last at least 10k mi or so.

Good Luck!
CK
+1 You have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point. Over at an Acura forum, they recommend synthetic racing ATF (minimal friction modifiers or FM) for these transmissions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts