Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 04 Odyssey that drove and ran great up until yesterday. The check engine light has been on since last week and when I took it to Autozone the code that pulled up said it was "Code P0740 indicates a fault in the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time." Yesterday I noticed her slipping out of gear, constantly downshifting and once I stopped, refusing to go into gear at all. With the engine cold she shifts into gear just fine but when it warms up it's the same issue. Transmission fluid checks out with no leaks and is at a good level. Anyone have any experience and/or advice as to what the problem might be? I'm trying to get a picture as to what I might be facing cost wise. Thank you very much

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Yeah, very likely the transmission is toast. That may sound like a stretch when the code refers to the TC clutch solenoid. The reason for this code is usually a blockage of ATF pressure to the solenoid, the blockage being caused by a buildup of debris inside the transmission.

However, there's a slim chance that the TC clutch solenoid itself has failed. If you are a gambler, you could have it tested or replaced. You could also drain and fill the ATF, as fresh ATF may clear the fluid passages. Just laying out all the options this side of replacing the transmission...

Reactions: ulbhpy

·
Registered
724 Posts
Common problem, on 2002-2004, transmission go out around 125,000+ miles. (lucky you don't own 1999-2001)
I'm on #4 transmission.

Call Dealer for estimate. Then ask local mechanics, who they recommend for tranny rebuild. Usually a few thousand dollars cheaper.

Depending on mileage and condition. Rebuild might be worth it or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try drain/fill of transmission fluid three times driving few miles between each. DIY will cost you $60 total.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Won't hurt anything. Just $60. And time. But if you have a lot of miles? on your tranny, why waste the $60. IMHO.
Good luck.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Try drain/fill of transmission fluid three times driving few miles between each. DIY will cost you $60 total.
At this point, I won't waste my money on fluid. Put it in the new tranny if you decide to get a remanufactured one.

·
Registered
708 Posts
170K is not a lot of miles on the tranny if it was well maintained. The fluid change (3X) is a low cost approach to see if it will make things right. I put 254K on an '01, 342K on an '04 and have 225K on a '03 that I am currently driving - all with original transmissions and regular fluid changes (2 of 3 had coolers for towing). If it is one of the later model '04s, those trannys were pretty good. Try the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In case my story might help someone......I may have accidentally discovered the fix for the Ody transmission in this generation: a transmission fluid cooler! I bought a 2000 Ody brand new and had a Honda transmission cooler installed before delivery because we wanted to get a pop-up camper. I drove that Ody for 18 years, for over 235,000 miles, with never a hiccup in the transmission. And, I towed relatively heavy pop-up campers loaded with gear and bikes for four people for 17 of those years! Clearly, you can't return to 2000 and put in a cooler,.....but, if I had an Ody from this generation now, and was putting in a new transmission, I would certainly install a transmission fluid cooler!!! Just sayin'......

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
I have had the same experience without the cooler (or towing) but with regular drain & fills every 15k since purchasing
used at 36k. I am at 245k now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 04 Odyssey that drove and ran great up until yesterday. The check engine light has been on since last week and when I took it to Autozone the code that pulled up said it was "Code P0740 indicates a fault in the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time." Yesterday I noticed her slipping out of gear, constantly downshifting and once I stopped, refusing to go into gear at all. With the engine cold she shifts into gear just fine but when it warms up it's the same issue. Transmission fluid checks out with no leaks and is at a good level. Anyone have any experience and/or advice as to what the problem might be? I'm trying to get a picture as to what I might be facing cost wise. Thank you very much
I have not done this, but there are a few interesting videos on replacing and/or cleaning the transmission solenoids. If you go down this path, it would be a good idea to purchase new o-rings and gaskets to do the repair. It's worth a try if you do work on your own car, or if you have a good friend that does. These transmissions work on fluid pressure, and the passages through the solenoids can get clogged up and /or the solenoid can malfunction, requiring cleaning or replacement, respectively. Do a search for "honda odyssey solenoid transmission replacement" and you'll get some videos showing up. A dealer and/or transmission shop can relatively easily test your transmission and find a faulty solenoid....

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should also change the trans fluid filter. People will tell you that there isn't one but it's on top of the tyranny, left of the fill hole.

·
Registered
6 Posts
look for remanufactured gearbox. that will be the most pleasant approach.

Yes I have replaced five solenoids concurrently in a gearbox rebuilding before, and today I'd rather say it is better to get a fully reconditioned gearbox instead of doing parts swapping.

·
Registered
728 Posts
look for remanufactured gearbox. that will be the most pleasant approach.

Yes I have replaced five solenoids concurrently in a gearbox rebuilding before, and today I'd rather say it is better to get a fully reconditioned gearbox instead of doing parts swapping.
Reason for that is because very seldom those solenoids and sensors fail. You actually remove all those from your old tranny and put them in the new remanufactured one. After testing of course. Once you get to the point where it shifts fine when cold, then slips out of gear, once the engine/tranny warms up, its kaput.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts