Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, but I've read probably a hundred pages of transmission posts on here! A lot of great info and I have to start with a really dumb question... (I've been working on cars and karts for 25 years, but not too much of this mysterious automatic transmission stuff!).

Super short question version: Is is possible that I'm just not reading my tranny dipstick correctly? I see fluid on it between the dots, but it's not really, really obvious that it isn't just fluid picked up from the tube itself. Should it be super obvious?

Now the long version:

This is on an 04 with 120,000 miles, original owner. Transmission had the 2nd gear fix put on it by dealer long ago. Fluid changed per schedule by dealer.

We have been noticing that the lag when selecting D after P or R was getting longer and whine at idle for a little while now (maybe last couple of months). My wife called and said she barely made it home yesterday due to slippage and just got it into the garage. I checked fluid level and it smells burnt badly and I think low.

I ran out this morning and grabbed 12 Q of valvoline Maxlife fluid (no access to Honda fluid today on a Sunday holiday weekend). Put the van up on my lift and performed a fluid change. My process was:

1. Drained, added 2 Q, drove and got it into all gears four times including reverse.
2. Repeat.
3. Repeat.
4. Repeat final time and added about 4 Q.

Drove van about 10 miles and it seemed fine. No slip, no codes, no smell...

Wife took van to drop off kid at friends house about 20 miles away and she didn't make it :-(. This came within a couple hundred yards of her destination and it started slipping in (guessing) 3rd gear and then zero drive at all - just engine revving, including from a stop. She got it safely off the road and called me. I took some fluid and my code reader since she had said there was a check engine light.

I added another half Q and was able to drive the remaining little distance. Codes are P0730 and P0740. It was still behaving strange so I added all my remaining fluid. Seemed OK, so I told my wife to follow me and chance making it home - no dice. Went about a mile and turned around to park it at the friends house. It was still slipping horribly as soon as it hit third gear. If I shut the van off for a minute, I could go about 200 yards and then zero drive again.

Bottom line - Given my fluid change process and lack of being really, really sure of the fluid level on the dipstick could it be as stupid as just low fluid level? Or, is that just wishful thinking?

Any recommendations for transmissions in Frederick, MD?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Given your description and the codes, it does not look good for the transmission. You could check and clean the pressure switches and solenoids in this thread http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-19...onda-transmission-problem-root-cause-fix.html since you are mechanically-inclined. You should also at the same time look into a replacement transmission (unless you are considering another vehicle) like Gator or Jasper brands.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Well how did you check the tranny level? You are suppose to warm the van up till the fan kicks on, then shut it off and check the level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked it warm, level ground, engine off per the manual. I think that part of my problem is that the fluid level is not even to the bottom of the dipstick and what I'm seeing is the residue from the dipstick tube itself. I'm going to fill it until I know without a doubt that I'm seeing the "pool" and not just some residue. If I overfill it, so be it and I'll drain some out.

I made the stupid mistake of not measuring how much fluid came out when I drained it multiple times, so I can't be sure how much is in it.

Could the symptoms that I'm seeing happen if I was, for example, 3 Q low?

Thanks,

Karl

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is possible, but unlikely, that your problem is because the fluid is low. Definitely worth trying to put some in however:) I would guess that the 3rd gear clutch pack is metal on metal. By the way, are you the same Karl Fosburg from Renault N.A. ? Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If you drain the transmission on level ground it will take a little over 3 1/2 quarts to bring to the full mark on the dip stick. No need to measure how much came out. If you pull the dip stick and wait an hour or two, wipe it and then slide it straight in and back out you should get a good reading. Even so I think your transmission is toast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts... I think it's toast... I'll have it towed to a shop and have a professional have at it. Any one have any experience with "Ken's Transmission" in Frederick, MD? They have good local reviews at least, so I'll start there.

Yes, I'm the same Karl as on the Renault forums... Sure is a lot easier working on an R5 4-speed than this thing!

I will definitely update the posts as soon as I get some information. Hopefully, I'll know what's going on in a couple of days.

Karl

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also find it less than optimal to read the tranny fluid level. IT SHOULD BE aboundant clear not so vague.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
What is vague about it. On level ground it should be between the two holes in the dip stick. Temp doesn't really matter as it varies very little between hot and cold. Certainly not enough to cause a problem. Color should be clear light red. If dark reddish brown your clutches are probably deteriorating.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
What is vague about it. On level ground it should be between the two holes in the dip stick. Temp doesn't really matter as it varies very little between hot and cold. Certainly not enough to cause a problem. Color should be clear light red. If dark reddish brown your clutches are probably deteriorating.
It is vague because the holes on the dipstick are close together and the reading varies with warm or cold ATF.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It varies very little between hot and cold. The level is not micro critical as long as it is between the dots or relatively close. I fail to see a problem. You pull the dipstick, If it is below the bottom hole you add fluid, if above the top you take some out. This has been the same since the first automatic transmissions hit the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I topped off the fluid tonight to be really, really sure... no help unfortunately. It was low and I'm finally getting fluid easily registering on the dipstick.

The complaint I have with the dipstick is that the lower hole is so low on the stick that if the fluid level is below the tip of the stick, then it's easy to be fooled into thinking that the little bit of fluid from the tube is the actual level.

Off to either the tranny shop or dealer tomorrow.

Karl

·
Registered
409 Posts
Look for oil filling in the holes on the dipstick. The lower hole should be filled and the upper hole should be void of oil. Then shine a flashlight on the dipstick and look for the reflection indicating the oil level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update... got a couple of estimates based on quick once over and description of problem. Everything was going to be $3,000+ unless I got super lucky.

Given the unlikelihood of that, we decided to trade it in as-in. No sense investing $3,000+ into a van worth $5,000 on trade in... Found a new loaded 2011 Chrysler mini-van on the lot and we split the different on the trade-in at $4,100. So, they will either break-even or they got a really good deal if it's something simple. I asked their service manager to let me know what the problem turned out to be if they repair it and will pass that on.

Karl

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quick update... got a couple of estimates based on quick once over and description of problem. Everything was going to be $3,000+ unless I got super lucky.

Given the unlikelihood of that, we decided to trade it in as-in. No sense investing $3,000+ into a van worth $5,000 on trade in... Found a new loaded 2011 Chrysler mini-van on the lot and we split the different on the trade-in at $4,100. So, they will either break-even or they got a really good deal if it's something simple. I asked their service manager to let me know what the problem turned out to be if they repair it and will pass that on.
Your old van was probably on its way to the dealer auction before you even left with your new one! Highly unlikely that a dealer would replace a transmission on a non-dealer-brand trade-in. YMMV

Congratulations on the new rig! May you treat it right and vise versa for many miles to come . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are probably dead-on with that estimate! Spoke with one of my co-workers today and he's on his second tranny for his 03 odyssey - 78k miles and no dealer help.

We loved our Odyssey, but glad to be rid of it because of the tranny. The new box on wheels is great so far...

Karl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts