Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start by saying I figured my trans was shot because it slipped when put into D and had a hydraulic sucking noise and a whine, it acted like a trans low on ATF. I did the 9 Qt flush, I had one day where it took a while to go into D and I figured it was shot. Today I drove it 15 miles and it drove and shifted Excellent. It has had a whine in third a long time 40k or so. I dont get any Codes as stated here. I looked at the factory manual and erratic shifting behavior is said the clutch pressure solenoids are at fault? I am going to change the atf filter for the 3rd time and do a 4th flush. I really feel it is OK now? It not a sudden shift into D but it locks firmly and shifts firmly.
What would you do? Take it to the Dealer and have them run a diagnostic on it? I removed ugly tranny fluid, shimmered aluminum and burnt smelling (I have seen worse). I did not find metal on the magnet.
I am looking at the Jasper transmissions if all goes Bad, I am also looking a Ebay , spooky purchase for a rebuild I know but they have excellent feedback and all they do is Honda transmissions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No metal on magnet, but burned fluid with aluminum shimmer. Sounds to me like a failing torque convertor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the funny thing is the Van moves like a scared cat, it will set you back in the seat? I am going to change out the atf filter again and change the fluid one more time. I hear a time delayed hiss before it locks into D from N causing a slip, a solenoid is what I think. I know torque converters can take alot of abuse from past tranny jobs, I feel it is good enough to trade in now, and a dealer would not feel a problem, I just dont want car payments. I love the VTech engine. If they made these vans with a 5 speed I would love it.I have been told by my friend who used to rebuild transmissions that the screen is the big killer and involves a teardown to clean. I guess the reason there are so many who put up with the Weak Link change out the transmissions because all else is nice?

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is a lot to read on the transmissions here should you feel the desire to (every question/issue has been discussed ad infinitum).

What do you mean by "I feel it is good enough to trade in now . . ." Do you plan on getting rid of the van, or keeping it and fixing the transmission?

And the screens getting clogged with debris is not the cause of the failure but one of the effects; cleaning the screens won't permanently fix anything (but may buy some time before a rebuild is necessary).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I mean by this is it runs so well nothing is wrong. I am beginning to believe the filter clogged and needs replacement. I will do this again this weekend. If I can fix it I will keep it.
I will read on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am angry with the Trans design and feel all those who have been financially hurt from a Bad Design should get a New Improved transmission for the Honda. I may be OK for now with our Trans? but I will never do a 400 mile trip with it. Consumer Reports is a Money under the table deal for Stars. I have used them and been upset 10 times with their 5 star rating.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree KAP. There is a valve (solenoid) that goes bad and causes the torque converter to burn up and put aluminum into the fluid. This is a whole seperate issue from the 3rd gear clutches. Sonnax makes a part that supposedly fixes the TC issue. I don't think it would help the 3rd clutch problem however. :huh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jakester65,
I hear a hiss that sounds like a seal closing slowly from N to D then the hiss seals and the same time the trans locks firmly into D, my third gear makes a high pitched noise that I don't care about and has been loud for 50k . Overdrive is quiet. If the TC was going bad I would be getting the dreaded code like so many here. I did fluid changes yearly and sudden erratic shifting is the problem. I am glad there is one who believes in my ear and feel for the van. Third gear is OK, no metal on the magnet.
I will look into this Sonnax part, If I hit a dead end searching is there a link you could kindly send me? I like your words, positive is what I could use. I have a wife who puts all of life's problems on my shoulders. I have to keep her parents cars and home in good shape for charity. I was upset with this trans because I did all service's recommended by the manual and then some. Never towed a thing. What is really strange is the Van burns really moves out Fast? It is super fast compared to before the fluid flush. I would have never thought new atf would make a difference like this, I would have done this once a year if I knew what huge performance difference it made.
I have spent 8 months in the hospital and recovery. I felt 2011 was my worst year ever, the sky was falling. I am working to gain my strength back I lost.

Kirk

·
Registered
539 Posts
Kirk,

Read these two threads on an Acura forum. You may want to consider changing your 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches (these going bad may be the smoking gun root cause of these transmissions failing), and also changing to a synthetic type F fluid:

Very interesting conversation with my transmission builder on the TL - AcuraZine Community

Racing ATF - AcuraZine Community

Oh, and here's a thread on how to change out the pressure switches:

A-110: DIY Guide to replacing 3rd & 4th gear pressure switch for 3G TL (2004-2006) - AcuraZine Community

Good luck, and let us know what you do and if it works for you.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Wow, those posts from Acurazine on the positive results from changing the pressure switches are encouraging! This is a cheap PM for the transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone I am looking to buy my wife a Honda Odyssey and I was just doing a little research on the transmission problems and other problems with the Honda Odyssey. So if anyone has any info good or bad problems that they know about please let me know. Or give me somethings to look for commonly that happens to these vans or something to look hard at before I buy the van.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those links redmond jp posted are good ones. I read those a while ago, and changed the 3rd and 4th pressure switches on my '04. I put Mobil 1 synthetic fluid in at the same time, and it definitely feels firmer and quicker when it shifts. I wasn't having any problems, I did those as preventive maintenance. I did not change the TC solenoid with that Sonnax part- honestly because I am lazy, but I believe it is also a good idea. Now when I check the drain plug magnet I see almost no grit as compared to before. I am sure that is a result of the quicker shifts not chewing up the clutches as fast.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Redmondjp, I go clamming and crabbing in Sequim WA every year and stay at my folks house there, I have family in Samamish WA.
I appreciate your help here, I have had 8 months of hospitals and surgeries and the cars I take care of die on me. I have been given hope and I thank you for that. I am using Vavoline synthetic Import? It says is is a Z1 = , I did a 9 qt flush and since there was alot aluminum in the atf I am going to change out the inline stock filter, probably clogged? and explore adding a microfine filter. A cooler sounds extremly important also. I have only hauled family, no boats. Many trips up to WA. It has been babied by my wife, and she has allways driven the car gently.
I will look into buying the sensors, I am not getting any fault codes and have 25 miles on it since the atf flush. I seems to run better warmed up. It quiets down and does not whine at idle in P, the noise goes away in D.
Thanks for the pictures, I am very thankful for your time and help.
Is the Sonnax part easy to install? I seem to think it takes a total teardown to do this? I also hear about a atf additive? does it work? Sorry for the questions. I will keep you all posted on my progress to fix this trans, (fingers crossed)

Kirk

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wow, those posts from Acurazine on the positive results from changing the pressure switches are encouraging! This is a cheap PM for the transmission.
Yes, and I suspect that this may be the smoking gun that everybody has been looking for regarding the root-cause issue for these transmission failures (apart from the separate torque converter issue already mentioned). It would also explain why the additional cooling, filters, and regular fluid changes don't "cure" the problem.

Consider this: I have heard that some rebuilders simply transfer over the solenoid valves/pressure switches (after testing and cleaning??) from the dead transmission to the rebuilt one. This could easily account for a premature death of the replacement transmission, for no apparent reason.

The other thing that is really interesting, if you spend the hours' worth of reading the one thread linked above, is that apparently Honda added a SECOND pressure switch for at least one of the gears, on the later transmissions (can't remember exact year, 2006/2007+ I think). NOW, if this is true, it would give the ECM the opportunity to look at BOTH pressure switches, and to set a fault code if one didn't agree with the other one within a certain range. This is all speculation on my part, but if true, it would point to the fact that Honda figured out that failing pressure switches were a big problem that needed to be addressed (while failing to inform any of us existing owners about this).

I need to do a fluid change on my 2001 - I think I will have to mail-order the good stuff since I don't think I can find any synthetic racing ATF around here (what is this world coming to, when only Amazon has the things you want and you live in a major US city???). I may do the switches soon as well - the switch problems carry back to the 4-speed autoboxes as well from what I can infer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pressure switches ordered

I am going for the cheap try, I ordered the switches and a new filter, I am looking at flushing the trans with Mobil 1 Synthetic one more time. If this fixes the strange behavior I will be ever thankful I need the Van to last a little while longer to let me build up some money. I agree that with all of the extra effort involved in keeping these transmissions alive this must be it. I will get these this week and let you know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now 5th gear?

I started the Van last night and I have not driven it a week. I noticed the ATF noise, like low powersteering fluid. It was very slow to respond. It finally locked into D and I drove it without a problem all gears shifted firmly until I hit 60 mph. It acted like there was nothing there suddenly for the first time.
I turned around and drove it home and it shifted through all the gears. Erratic is a description that best describes this trans. I will pull apart all solenoids and check the screens.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Something sounds like it is clogged up in the hydraulic circuit :-( Checking the screens is a good idea. As I am sure you have found by now- if they are clogged up- your clutches most likely have some advanced wear. But then again your drain magnet was clean? That is indeed confusing. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did find a small amount on my magnet the first change, I look at the aluminum in the atf and there has to be filters clogged as well as screens. I cant loose removing them all I can get to. I see the TQ Valve change with the new modified one out but I believe this is a must tear down the transmission to install it. I will go through this with a fine comb. All I have is time and no money on the weekends. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced both pressure switches, and the trans filter, I started the car it still had the delay from N to D, I said well that is it then decided to test drive it, I drove it for 30 miles without one sloppy shift?
I am shocked. It runs fantastic? I guess even in winter its time for a cooler and a inline filter. If I can get some more miles out of the van this way I will. I also would like to say the third gear whine has almost vanished, I felt that was very odd. I now know the trans was rescued on the brink of a core deposit. Erratic is a understatement. Thanks for the excellent pointers here excellent valuable information, yes those switches made the shifts firm.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks Kirk for the update and glad that your shifts have firmed up!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts