Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I changed the tensioner pulley and needed a new bolt on alternator did all that drove it home just fine shut it off came out 2 days later tried to start it did but then died right away but it was cold and I couldn't hit pedal . Tried starting again seemed to fire descent but wouldn't quite start thought ok bat so I jumped it and now when I crank is the motor turns over with a bad noise and doesn't fire at all checked to see if my valves were still moving when cranked and they are seems to get worse everytime I try it I suppose I'm going to have to check timing belt any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would try to help if I could understand what you are writing.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
If you see no valve movement while cranking the engine, at the very least the valves have to be retimed before the engine will start. It's also very likely the engine has suffered internal damage (i.e. bent valves).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea sorry about the rambling and no punctuation. My valves were moving. The motor sounds like it was fine for the first try cranking it. Now it sounds to me like an engine with the rotor turned 180(really out of time).I'm going to pull off timing cover soon but I'm doing all this outside and it's been like -29 degrees or more so not fun.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why are you pulling timing covers? The inspection ports will let you see belt. There are valid reasons for removing the covers, I'm just making sure you're doing it for one of them. And not just to have a peek at the belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I don't know what else could cause it to sound the way it does so I figured I'd order the water pump package for 200$ and do timing belt and all the other stuff involved really cause I'm out of ideas so ne help would be nice. ...p.s I lost my right hand about 4 years ago so some stuff is a little harder for me to do but I think I can do most things but the angles get me some times.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So, shortly after you replaced the serpentine belt tensioner and added a bolt to your alternator, you experienced some ugly noises from the engine. You did not touch the TB or any other parts under the TB covers.

Look at the stuff you touched. The missing alternator bolt could be a clue. Before ripping INTO the engine, at least remove the serpentine belt, start the engine and see if the noise has gone away.

BTW...I don't know if I can ever again use the phrase "hardcore DIY" for my self, after hearing your story. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
what did your timing marks inspection reveal?

did you manually turn the engine a full revolution at the crank bolt?

was there any resistance or binding?

do you have any check engine lights?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Ok so I changed the tensioner pulley ...
Was this the pulley for the serpentine belt or the timing belt?

I had assumed for the timing belt since you mentioned that as something to check, but maybe not...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts