Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background: Since there is no "official" thread for the 3rd gen Odyssey filter replacement, I thought I'd make my own. I know I love me a good DIY thread on here. (thank you to all of you who make them :worship: ) Second thing is, i'm 16 years old so if there is anything wrong in my thread please correct me and I'll fix it! Also, when you're doing this, you need to have A LOT of patience! It all pays off, it's completely worth it and you'll be very happy with the results!

What you'll need:
About a cup of Honda Genuine ATF DW-1 (you'll lose a lil bit when you open the filter canister).
Filter element: 25450-RAY-003
Filter gasket: 91302-RAY-003
O-Ring for canister: 91301-RAY-004
A LOT OF PATIENCE!

Alright time for fun stuff:
You'll need these parts:

1. Remove the pointless engine cover (while cussing about why they even put it there)
IMG_0731.jpg

2. You'll need to remove the battery from the vehicle entirely by removing the two 10MM bolts on the battery, Negative goes off first! (Gets put back on last) Then the two 10MM for the battery hold down.

IMG_0732.jpg

3. While you still have that 10MM socket on your ratchet, lets remove the air box from the van entirely. It's held down by two 10MM bolts.

4. You'll want to remove the VSA modulator/ABS pump electrical connection completely. If you push down on the orange lever thingy while pushing against the little clip that keeps the orange lever from moving the whole thing will push off of the modulator itself.

5. There is three 10MM bolts that hold down the modulator to the body. Remove them all. Unfortunately you're only going to be able to move the modulator around. Now, lets not have to do a new brake line job. Be gentle with it, you'll be able to move it out of the way just enough to get under it to access the filter.

6. I was just too excited to take a picture, but if you look at number 7 in the diagram you should be able to put two and two together. It's right smack dab under the VSA modulator held down by Three 10MM bolts. When you take it out be careful, there is a spring in there and we don't want that to fall out. (Look at the picture)

IMG_0742.jpg

Now you're done! Did you ruin anything? Hopefully not! Patience is key here, this repair is time consuming. But, as always making this thread took longer than the repair!

Here's a picture of my filter: 104K 3X3 drain and fill at 30K and 60K BG flush (with ATF DW-1 at the dealer) at 90K

IMG_0741.jpg
Ended up cutting the filter in half for kicks and giggles:

IMG_0744.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg

Wrap up: My final thoughts are, if you can turn a wrench, then you should definitely tackle this job. God only knows how many more miles i've added to that poor transmission. I'm still baffled why Honda says "it's not serviceable" :dunno: and none of my local dealers even heard of them even having a filter :bs: .

Side note: On the 2012 Accord service manual they say: only replace the transmission filter if it's being re-built or it's clogged?!? Anyways comments are appreciated and if you did yours post it down here !! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
You're 16 and you did this? Wow! That's really awesome! Your parents should be very proud. Few kids nowadays would ever do anything even close to this.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm still baffled why Honda says "it's not serviceable"
Well, there are two filters in the transmission - the little external one (external until 07, I think, then not readily accessible) then there is a bigger one internal to the transmission case that you have to open up the transmission to get to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, just a lot of reading. People think working on cars is like rocket science but once you really get to know it, it's not all that complicated to understand how it all works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see why they can't just put a simple, replaceable filter that can be easily serviced with a transmission fluid drain and fill? Honda's engines seem to be built to last forever, but their transmissions on the other hand have a different story.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I once had a Saturn SC2. The auto transmission in it had a spin on transmission filter. Seemed like the best idea ever. Probably not enough money for dealers though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This goes to show, things are not made like they used to be.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Sorry to bump and old thread however I thought the 2007 odyssey doesnt have an external transmission filter?
It doesn't - the procedure shown is for the 05-06 transmission. The design changed in 07, and while there is a second filter, it looks to be located inside the bell housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
So DrD...is it easy to at least do-able to DIY replace the trans filter on a 2010? Can you access that "bell housing"?
if you look at the picture posted, the filter is INSIDE the bell housing. That bell housing is attached to the engine, so the only way to replace the filter is to remove the
transmission from the car.
Yes its doable DIY, as somebody here has done it. Would any sane person remove transmission to just replace the filter? I doubt it.
If you are removing tranny to do RMS, then its logical to also replace the filter, while you are there.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
if you look at the picture posted, the filter is INSIDE the bell housing. That bell housing is attached to the engine, so the only way to replace the filter is to remove the
transmission from the car.
Yes its doable DIY, as somebody here has done it. Would any sane person remove transmission to just replace the filter? I doubt it.
If you are removing tranny to do RMS, then its logical to also replace the filter, while you are there.
Thanks....but no thanks (to me doing that DIY job)

I couldn't tell from the picture...I thought that the bell housing might be able to unbolt and pull off and then you swap the filter and bolt down the bell housing again. I'm probably picturing it incorrectly

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I thought that the bell housing might be able to unbolt and pull off and then you swap the filter and bolt down the bell housing again.
the bell housing is the part of the transmission case that goes around the torque converter (it's open and sort of looks like a bell) - the filter is, as mentioned above, accessed from inside there - so unbolting the bell housing means separating the engine from the transmission (then removing the transmission from the vehicle, as you are going to need to remove the torque converter to get to the filter, I imagine)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've replaced filter in my Ody 2006, 158kmiles. Here is a pic of old vs new filter. The hardest part was to remove the battery tray. And a HINT: remove 3 bolts which hold the ABS actuator (it is right above the filter housing). By doing this you'll give yourself a bit more space (and each fraction of inch counts there, trust me).
20170304_173649.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've replaced filter in my Ody 2006, 158kmiles. Here is a pic of old vs new filter. The hardest part was to remove the battery tray. And a HINT: remove 3 bolts which hold the ABS actuator (it is right above the filter housing). By doing this you'll give yourself a bit more space (and each fraction of inch counts there, trust me).
View attachment 102842
Nice, thanks! I plan on doing that the same time I do my motor mounts since I'll have the battery tray out already. I'm guessing the trans fluid needs to be drained to swap the filter, correct?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
FWIW, As noted earlier here, there is no external transmission filter on 2007 and newer Odyssey's. The filter is located internal to the transmission and is not a DIY job.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts