Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
This post is great. thank you. I have a 2005 Odyssey with 167000 miles on it. I wanted to service the transmission as I don't know if it's ever been done since I picked this van up used. But my dealer told me that I did not have a serviceable transmission filter.
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the filter and any other items that I might need? I will get them ordered from the dealership ASAP and get this project done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new 2017 Odyssey Touring Elite, and it came with an external in-line transmission filter. It sits between the return from the radiator, and the transmission. I just finished installing a transmission cooler, and noticed that nobody else on this site even mentions this. So, I am not sure when they started putting the in-line filter in, but mine has it. 2017 in-LineTransmission Filter2.jpg

The picture is looking up from the floor, and the bracket holding the filter to the case has been removed, which is why the filter is oriented like it is. When properly installed, it is in a vertical orientation, with the cool return line attaching at the top of the filter, and a short hose going from the bottom of the filter back to the transmission. Note, this filter made it a complete pain in the keester to install the transmission cooler. I had to remove the driver-side wheel well cover to get at that bracket, so that I could attach the output from the cooler to the top of that filter. Getting an arm up there to put the hose on was tight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the DIY! I did this on my 153K '05 this morning, with your guidance. Took an hour. Parts were ~$35 from LHD. Dealer recommended changing the spring too, and it was only another $2.50, so I did. I did not remove the battery tray or the battery and I didn't feel cramped at all.

Others have discussed removing the banjo bolt on the filter housing cover (in other threads I think). I did not need to do this and recommend not doing so. I removed the 10mm bolt stabilizing the line that is connected to the filter housing cover by the banjo bolt, and there was then plenty of slack to pull the housing cover, with the line still attached, back toward the firewall and up behind the VSA system for access to replace the o-ring.

The glue securing the filter element to the metal ends was pretty badly deteriorated on mine.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you get the replacement parts?

This post is great. thank you. I have a 2005 Odyssey with 167000 miles on it. I wanted to service the transmission as I don't know if it's ever been done since I picked this van up used. But my dealer told me that I did not have a serviceable transmission filter.
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the filter and any other items that I might need? I will get them ordered from the dealership ASAP and get this project done.
I see that someone posted some part numbers below. Did you end up getting them? I mentioned this to my mechanic, but they insisted it would involve removing the transmission. I'm wondering how one would go about convincing them with more detailed information. I took it to Aamco today for a second opinion & they too said I would need a transmission rebuild, quoting $3200. The previous mechanic did a flush hoping that would help, but I'm still experiencing a shudder & was wondering if the filter would be one last attempt to help it. I just keep getting mixed messages when I ask around.

2006 Odyssey EX-L - 87k miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see that someone posted some part numbers below. Did you end up getting them? I mentioned this to my mechanic, but they insisted it would involve removing the transmission. I'm wondering how one would go about convincing them with more detailed information. I took it to Aamco today for a second opinion & they too said I would need a transmission rebuild, quoting $3200. The previous mechanic did a flush hoping that would help, but I'm still experiencing a shudder & was wondering if the filter would be one last attempt to help it. I just keep getting mixed messages when I ask around.

2006 Odyssey EX-L - 87k miles

Depending upon what the shudder is, have you had the computer reflashed with the updates? I had a 2006 EXL, left the battery disconnect for a few days, started to shudder very bad between 20 and 45 mph. I read about the bulletin, took i to the dealer, 30 minutes later, it was perfect. I know that bulletin was only for EXL and Touring models. Hopefully that's all you need!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts