Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I took my 2005 info the 30K service to change trans fluid I asked if the filter was changed. Dealer says there was no filter. Showed dealer filter on trans diagram. I changed filter at 60K. My daughter has car now with 175K, no problems Switched to Redline D4 at 60K. Changing the filter is a must do on any trans fluid change.
I now have a 2016 Odyssey and at 30K I will change the filter which is easier to get to use Redline D6.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry guys, missed it before while skimming through at work. That really sucks; very bad decision on Honda's part.
Just fit a Magnefine inline filter and you'll be fine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Edit: 2005 Odyssey
Did this job last night. The only real pain is removing the battery tray. Removing it makes the filter change a breeze, but removing the tray is a biotch.
The tray is built like a tank and secured down with enough fasteners to make it a structural element. The two lower bolts are the fun part but can be reached with a gear wrench and long enough and skinny enough arms from the bottom side. I removed 1 push pin fastener to allow a little more room for my arm to reach up in there and feel around for the bolt head. You can see it or reach it, not both concurrently :)

The front most lower bolt should have been slotted as putting this bolt in blind would not be fun. 5 mins with the Dremel and mine is now slotted so going back in wasn't bad. A quick shot of the rattle can and the Dremel'd edges are covered up.

I didn't remove the banjo bolt / tube connected to the filter housing cover plate, just removed the bolt on the line about a foot back to give it more movement. Raised the ABS module and set it on a role of electrical tape.... may not have been necessary, but the extra 3/4 inch did give more room to access.

It's a little nerve racking as the filter, once you push it back against the spring drops in the front a bit, so you're worried that the cover will pinch it and not center up. Looking at the cover, I think it's setup to guide itself in, but you have no way of knowing for sure, just try to steady up the filter as best as you can and gently push the cover in position.

Best part.... no left over bolts at the end :)

194k on the van. I didn't think the filter looked too bad. I bought this van at 109k and hadn't done a flush yet. My bad! A shudder it had at low speed low load shifting went away even before the filter as I flushed the tyranny 3 times before doing the filter and fourth flush.

Thanks for all the info on this post!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
27 Words, which year is yours?

Item 1 here for 2010 -> https://www.hondapartsnow.com/resource?t=d&s=l&r=9A259D595DE0D0D44EEBF3E0F013A5028E25C6011529A831404DD40F6BFB08B6

So cant be replaced on 2010 model (EX) unless the transmission is removed?
Saneeshd -- Mine is a 2005. I've edited my post to clarify that.
As for your 2010.. I'm no expert, but from what I've read researching mine, the answer is even though the filter looks like it could be serviceable, you have to drop the tranny to get at it. (?)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Correct....there is no serviceable transmission filter on the 2007+ transmissions. Contrary to the title of this thread, it only applies to the 2005-2006 transmisison. This is mentioned earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This will not work for a 2008 odyssey, just tried, wasted a bunch of time following what you wrote. Thanks but no thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced my 2006 Ody transmission filter for the first time. I only have 261,700 miles on the original transmission. I think I can get 300,000+ out of her. I've been replacing the fluid with a triple drain and fill every 40,000 miles. I just did the fluid change and it came out a nice clear burgundy color. I've been using OEM Honda transmission fluid since new. This fluid change, I went with Idemitsu transmission fluid. The filter had small particles on it, but it wasn't that bad. I'll probably never change the filter again. It wasn't hard to do, but I don't think it's that critical. Changing the filter every 40-50k is probably overkill. I think one reason I've not had problems with the transmission so far is that I installed an aftermarket transmission cooler (from Summit Racing) when new. I think keeping it cool is important.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to do this filter on my 2010 soon, when I do the other maintenance later this season. I really can't understand the reason for making some things like this a "lifetime" part. Like fuel pick up screens and no filters, spark plugs that go 100,000 miles, or even lifetime transmission fluid. If you drive your vehicle more than 120K than it just doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Pappy is correct and this has been mentioned a few times in this thread. Your 2010 does not have this filter. Nothing to replace or worry about. Just make sure you drain and fill your transmission fluid on a regular basis.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts